Spicy Kung Pao Stir-Fry with Summer Squash
Why order take-out when you can make this Spicy Kung Pao Stir-Fry with Summer Squash in 30 minutes at home? It’s our new favorite way to enjoy the flavors of Kung Pao in a healthy homemade meal!
One of my favorite things about cooking is that I can make dishes at home that I’d usually order at a restaurant. We enjoy going out to eat, but most of the time I’d rather just stay in the comfort of my own home. In my pj’s and make-up free, if that’s the kind of day it is. 🙂
Whenever we go out for Chinese food, we always order Kung Pao Chicken. Even the kids like it, so long as we make sure there are no spicy pepper flakes on their chicken. Brad and I love the spice, and the peanuts! I’ve made Kung Pao Chicken at home before, and this time I decided to change up my recipe to make this vegetarian Spicy Kung Pao Stir-Fry with Summer Squash. I had some beautiful summer squash and snap peas from our produce box, and I added in a red bell pepper for another pop of color.
The kids wouldn’t touch this stir-fry (as I expected, they are SO picky about vegetables right now), but Brad and I loved every bite. In fact, I just bought more snap peas and yellow squash so I can make this again this weekend. It’s healthy, jam-packed with vegetables, and delicious topped with crunchy peanuts. Plus, it comes together in 30 minutes or less! Which makes it pretty much perfect in my book. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium/large yellow summer squash, chopped (2-3 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced into 1-inch long strips
- 6 ounces (about 1 ½ cups) snap peas, ends trimmed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup peanuts
- cooked brown rice
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Whisk together all sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the summer squash, bell pepper and snap peas and cook, stirring constantly, until almost crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Pour the sauce into the pan with the vegetables and cook until thickened, stirring constantly, 1-2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in peanuts.
- Serve stir-fry over brown rice, garnished with green onions.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!