Unstuffed Bell Pepper Skillet
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
This Unstuffed Bell Pepper Skillet is a healthy one pot skillet dinner recipe made with ground turkey and brown rice. This recipe is my kids’ favorite!
I feel like I hit the jackpot with this recipe. All three, yes ALL THREE, of my kids love this Unstuffed Bell Pepper Skillet. As you might guess, finding dinner recipes that my little ones will happily eat, and that Brad and I also enjoy, is not easy.
This one pot meal, though? Totally easy. So easy that when I went to copy and paste the recipe into this post, for a minute I thought I must have forgotten a step or two because the instructions are so short! I double checked and it’s all there- just a few easy steps and dinner is done!
I try to cook with brown rice whenever possible because it’s more nutritious than white, and to save time for this skillet meal I used quick-cooking brown rice. It gives you the same nutrition as regular brown rice, with a much faster cooking time.
Besides the rice, this Unstuffed Bell Pepper Skillet is packed with bell peppers (of course!), ground turkey, tomato sauce, and cheese. And best of all, it’s done in 30 minutes!
When you want all of the flavor of classic stuffed peppers but need dinner to be ready in 30 minutes, this one pot unstuffed bell pepper skillet is just the thing.
Why you’ll LOVE this Unstuffed Bell Pepper Skillet:
- One pot = less dishes!
- It’s ready in 30 minutes, start to finish.
- You’ll have all of the delicious flavor of stuffed peppers, with half the work. No need to pre-cook the peppers or rice. No need to turn on your oven (on hot summer days)!
Unstuffed Bell Pepper SkilletThis Unstuffed Bell Pepper Skillet is a healthy one pot dinner made with ground turkey and brown rice. This recipe is my kids' favorite!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey, or beef
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups quick-cooking brown rice, I used Minute Rice, look for one that cooks in 10 minutes
- 1 cup cheddar and/or Monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for serving
Serving: 1/6 of recipe, Calories: 350kcal, Carbohydrates: 37g, Protein: 28g, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 61mg, Sodium: 429mg, Potassium: 948mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 11g, Vitamin A: 1995IU, Vitamin C: 72.6mg, Calcium: 233mg, Iron: 5.2mgNutrition information is an estimate.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes. Add ground turkey, season with salt and pepper, and cook, breaking it up into pieces, until browned.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, water, and rice. Bring to a low simmer, cover, and cook about 10 minutes, until rice is tender. Stir in ½ cup cheese; sprinkle with remaining cheese and fresh parsley. Serve.