This Unstuffed Bell Pepper Skillet is a healthy one pot dinner made with ground turkey and brown rice. This recipe is my kids’ favorite!
I feel like I hit the jackpot with this recipe. All three, yes ALL THREE, of my kids love this Unstuffed Bell Pepper Skillet. As you might guess, finding dinner recipes that my little ones will happily eat, and that Brad and I also enjoy, is not easy.
This one pot meal, though? Totally easy. So easy that when I went to copy and paste the recipe into this post, for a minute I thought I must have forgotten a step or two because the instructions are so short! I double checked and it’s all there- just a few easy steps and dinner is done!
I try to cook with brown rice whenever possible because it’s more nutritious than white, and to save time for this skillet meal I used quick-cooking brown rice. It gives you the same nutrition as regular brown rice, with a much faster cooking time.
Besides the rice, this Unstuffed Bell Pepper Skillet is packed with bell peppers (of course!), ground turkey, tomato sauce, and cheese. And best of all, it’s done in 30 minutes!
And yes, today is 30 minute Thursday. 🙂 The first Thursday of every month a group of blogging friends and I get together and all share a 30 minute dinner recipe. I guarantee that a quick read through their recipe titles below will make you hungry! All of the links are there, right below the recipe for this Unstuffed Bell Pepper Skillet, so you can save them for later. I’ll be pinning them all to my Easy Weeknight Meals Pinterest Board, my all-time favorite place to look for easy dinner inspiration!
Why you’ll LOVE this Unstuffed Bell Pepper Skillet:
- One pot = less dishes!
- It’s ready in 30 minutes, start to finish.
- You’ll have all of the delicious flavor of stuffed peppers, with half the work. No need to pre-cook the peppers or rice. No need to turn on your oven (on hot summer days)!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey (or beef)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups quick-cooking brown rice (I used Minute Rice, look for one that cooks in 10 minutes)
- 1 cup cheddar and/or Monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes. Add ground turkey, season with salt and pepper, and cook, breaking it up into pieces, until browned.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, water, and rice. Bring to a low simmer, cover, and cook about 10 minutes, until rice is tender. Stir in ½ cup cheese; sprinkle with remaining cheese and fresh parsley. Serve.
30 Minute Thursday recipes from friends! Because the more easy dinner recipes, the better!
Basil Pesto Pasta with Broccoli and Mushrooms from Pumpkin ‘n Spice
Crispy Salmon with Greek Orzo from Bake.Eat.Repeat.
Blackened Grilled Salmon with ‘Kickin Corn Pico de Gallo from Whole and Heavenly Oven
Avocado Toast with Spicy Marinated Chickpeas and Zucchini from Floating Kitchen
Grilled Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Caesar Salad from Life Made Sweeter
Sweet Potato Noodles with Black Beans & Avocado Sauce from Sweet Peas & Saffron
Honey Pineapple Barbecue Chicken Sandwich from Flavor the Moments