Broccoli Cheese Soup
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
This healthier Broccoli Cheese Soup takes just about 30 minutes to make. It’s full of vegetables and gets its creaminess from potatoes rather than cream!
Are you a soup person? I am, but only when it’s cold outside. This winter I have been making soup at least once a week, including many new recipes that I have shared/will share with you! This Easy Cauliflower Leek Soup and this dump and go Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup are my two latest soup recipes. And if you love creamy soups that are secretly healthy, you have to try my best creamy potato soup!
Today we have this Broccoli Cheese Soup, which became an immediate favorite with my family. Julia, my 7-year-old, especially likes this one. The last time I made it she requested to eat the leftovers for her after-school snack two days in a row! She’s not much of a fan of plain steamed or roasted broccoli lately, but in this soup she loves it.
I added lots of veggies to this soup, so you can get in a couple of vegetable servings in one meal. Carrots, potatoes, onion, and broccoli make this Broccoli Cheese Soup extra hearty. I like to puree this soup only partially using my immersion blender so that a few small pieces of vegetables remain. I think it has the best texture that way.
It’s January, and I know that many of you are trying to eat healthier. I’m so glad that you come here to my site for healthy and tasty recipes. Eating nutritious foods is important to me, but so are taste and flavor. This Broccoli Cheese Soup is the best of both worlds. It’s made without cream, yet it still tastes creamy thanks to the potatoes that I added. You can use more or less cheese to meet your preferences and needs; I like to make this with 1 ½ cups of grated sharp cheddar.
Earlier in the month, I asked you in my reader survey what kinds of recipes you were looking for. Almost 70% of you said 30 minute dinners, and a majority of you are also interested in one pot meals. So I’m committed to bringing you more quick and easy dinner recipes! Be sure to see my 30 minute meals category for lots of ideas that are already up on the site. And stay tuned for the first Thursday of every month, when we do 30 Minute Thursdays!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot grated
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add broccoli, potatoes, carrot, and broth.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. We like to puree it only part way so that some pieces of potato and broccoli remain. (Alternatively, you can transfer the soup in batches to a blender to puree.)
- Season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!