Simple Green Salad Recipe
This simple green salad recipe is quick and easy to make, using fresh and flavorful ingredients. It’s the perfect side dish for any meal!
Do you have a favorite side salad recipe that you make all the time? This green salad is my go-to salad recipe. It’s simple enough for everyday, and delicious enough to serve to guests.
I love this salad because it has the best combination of flavors and textures. It’s crunchy and tangy, with creamy goat cheese.
You can serve this tossed salad as a side salad to go with any meal. Or, make it a main dish salad by adding some protein. Grilled chicken, salmon or hard boiled eggs would all be delicious additions to this salad recipe.
Here are the ingredients that I like best in this salad. Below I’ll give you some other ideas for what to add to your salads.
- Greens: You can use any type of greens you prefer. Mixed greens, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce and spinach all work well.
- Cucumber: I like adding cucumber to salad recipes because it is refreshing and adds a nice crunchy texture.
- Cherry Tomatoes: Grape tomatoes or sliced whole tomatoes would also work well.
- Red Onion: I love the punch of flavor that thinly sliced red onion adds to a salad. If that’s not your thing, then you can leave it out – or try adding milder green onions (scallions) instead.
- Avocado: Avocado takes a salad from good to great. For perfectly ripe avocados, buy them when they are still firm and let them ripen for a few days on your counter. Avocados are ready when they have a slight give when you press them gently.
- Goat Cheese: Creamy, tangy goat cheese is my favorite in this salad. You can substitute your favorite cheese, if you prefer.
This salad recipe is especially delicious served with a tangy vinaigrette. This easy homemade vinaigrette is my favorite, and I’ll sometimes substitute lemon juice for the vinegar. A balsamic vinaigrette also works really well with this salad. If you prefer a creamy dressing try my homemade ranch dressing.
How to make this Salad
- If you are making a homemade salad dressing, make the dressing first. Then set the dressing aside while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Wash your salad greens and dry them well. There’s nothing worse than a soggy salad! If you are using whole leaf lettuce, you’ll need to tear or chop it into bite-size pieces. Place the salad greens in a large bowl.
- Add the other vegetables to the salad: sliced cucumber, halved cherry tomatoes and sliced red onion.
- If you’re ready to serve your salad, you can now toss it with the dressing. If you are making the salad ahead, wait and follow the remaining steps right before serving. Drizzle on the dressing, and use salad tongs or two large serving spoons to gently combine. Start with less dressing and drizzle on more as needed, to taste.
- Finally, you’ll mix in the avocado and goat cheese. It’s best to mix these in gently after you toss the salad with the dressing so that the avocado and goat cheese crumbles hold their shape.
- Serve and enjoy!
Salad Ideas: Make your best salad
Looking for more salad ideas? Try adding one or more of these to this green salad recipe.
- Veggies, such as shredded carrot or sliced bell peppers
- Chickpeas or white beans
- Grilled chicken, baked chicken or shrimp
- Hard boiled eggs
- Nuts or seeds, such as sliced almonds, toasted walnuts, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- Pepperoncini peppers
More Salad Recipes
Simple Green Salad Recipe
- 6 cups (loosely packed) mixed greens, or lettuce of choice, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled, or other cheese such as feta, Parmesan or cheddar
- 6 tablespoons homemade vinaigrette, or dressing of choice
- Put the greens in a large bowl. Add the cucumber, cherry tomatoes and red onion.
- Drizzle on vinaigrette or dressing of choice, a little at a time, tossing to mix, until salad is dressed to your liking.
- Add the avocado and goat cheese and toss gently to mix in. Serve immediately.
- Nutrition information is for salad without dressing.
I made this without the feta and it was fantastic! (I have some dairy allergies in my family. ) Thank you for including the nutrition info!
this helped me so much, tysm!!!