Chocolate Raspberry Donuts with Raspberry Glaze
FREE BACON FOR LIFE when you order your first ButcherBox today. Claim Now.
Chocolate raspberry cake donuts with a sweet raspberry glaze. These donuts are baked and perfect for Valentine’s Day or any day!
Do you celebrate Valentine’s Day? It’s not a holiday that I make a big deal about, but Brad and I will usually cook dinner together for the just two of us, after the kids are in bed. We are homebodies and prefer to relax at home rather than go out and compete with the crowds. It’s enough of a celebration to eat a peaceful dinner without getting up time and again for more milk, more applesauce… although this year we will have a newborn so we will see how the quiet dinner at home works out for us. 🙂
This year, Valentine’s Day falls on a Saturday so there will be extra time in the morning to cook a special breakfast. These Chocolate Raspberry Donuts with Raspberry Glaze are just right for the occasion, complete with a pretty pink glaze and sprinkles.
When I think of Valentine’s Day treats, I think of chocolate. And one of my favorite flavors to pair with chocolate is raspberry. In these Chocolate Raspberry Donuts with Raspberry Glaze, I’ve taken a baked chocolate donut and enhanced it with raspberry puree. The raspberry flavor is subtle, but there. The baked donuts have an incredibly light, airy, and moist cake texture.
These melt-in-your-mouth chocolate raspberry donuts are dipped in a sweet raspberry glaze. While the raspberry flavor is subtle in the donuts themselves, the glaze is just bursting with raspberry. The first time I made these Chocolate Raspberry Donuts with Raspberry Glaze, I used just 2 tablespoons of raspberry puree plus 1 tablespoon of milk in the glaze. The raspberry flavor was there, but somewhat overpowered by the sweetness of the powdered sugar.
For my next test of this recipe, I cut out the milk and increased the raspberry puree to 3 tablespoons. That was perfect. The glaze had a bright raspberry flavor, as well as a more vibrant hot pink color. (The donuts pictured are from batch one, which had a more mild pink colored glaze.) I loved both the light and bright pink colors, but flavor is key and the second batch was the clear winner in that department.
Donuts are a fun weekend breakfast treat to make when you have a few extra minutes to spend in the kitchen. Whether it’s a special occasion or not, these Chocolate Raspberry Donuts with Raspberry Glaze are a delicious treat to enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea. (Or a glass of milk!) You could even serve them for dessert.
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ cup plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. raspberry puree (recipe included here)
- 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp. raspberry puree
- sprinkles (optional)
- Place frozen raspberries, sugar, and water in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until the raspberries soften and the sugar dissolves completely. Cool slightly and then transfer to a blender or food processor; puree until smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer to remove seeds. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously spray a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, milk, egg, vanilla, and melted butter. Whisk in ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons raspberry puree.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry and stir gently until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into a quart-size zip-top bag: Fold the top opening of the bag down and over itself (to the outside) and set the bag in a cup or mug, so that you can scoop the batter into one corner of the bag. Scoop batter into the bag, remove it from the cup, and unfold the rim of the bag. Twist the top of the bag a few times so that it looks like a piping bag, and cut off the bottom corner of the bag. Pipe the batter into the six wells of the prepared donut pan.
- Bake donuts for 9-10 minutes, until they are set and tops bounce back when gently pressed. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet (to catch glaze drips) to cool for 10 minutes more.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and raspberry puree until smooth. Heat glaze in microwave for 20 seconds; stir until smooth. Immediately dip each donut into the glaze and set back on wire rack. Let the glaze set for 5 minutes. Re-warm glaze in the bowl by microwaving for 20 seconds, stirring, and microwaving 15 seconds more until smooth. Working quickly, spoon a second layer of glaze onto each donut as needed. Re-warm the glaze as needed between donuts.
- Sprinkle with sprinkles, if desired. Let glaze set on donuts before serving. Donuts are best served the day they are made.
Don’t miss my favorite Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting. They literally melt in your mouth!
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!