Easy Egg Salad
FREE GROUND BEEF FOR LIFE when you order your first ButcherBox today. Claim Now.
My easy egg salad recipe makes the best healthy egg salad. It starts with perfectly hard boiled eggs and a creamy dressing. Make egg salad sandwiches or serve in lettuce wraps for a light meal.
Growing up, we would often have egg salad sandwiches for lunch. My mom’s recipe for egg salad was simple, with just eggs, mayo, mustard, salt and pepper.
Every couple of weeks I crave an egg salad sandwich like Mom used to make. I’ve made a few changes to her simple egg salad but I’ve kept everything that you crave in a classic egg salad recipe.
You can make this egg salad ahead and refrigerate it for three days, so it’s great for meal prep. If you cook and peel your eggs ahead of time, this healthy egg salad recipe comes together in just minutes. It’s perfect for a quick lunch. For more easy lunch ideas, try my best chicken salad recipe or my classic tuna salad.
My best egg salad recipe
- This easy egg salad is simple to make with just 4 ingredients, plus salt and pepper.
- This egg salad has the perfect amount of creamy dressing. Your egg salad sandwich will be creamy and flavorful, not soggy.
- Egg salad is great to meal prep for make ahead meals and snacks.
How healthy is egg salad?
Egg salad is a healthy meal option. Eggs are an inexpensive, high protein food. They are nutrient-dense and fill you up so you won’t be hungry again right away.
My egg salad recipe calls for plain Greek yogurt rather than mayonnaise. Greek yogurt is a healthier option and I bet you won’t taste the difference in this no mayo egg salad! Of course, you can use mayo if you prefer.
I also like to use creamy Greek yogurt when I make my healthy deviled eggs. If you find yourself with extra hard boiled eggs, they’re great to make for quick snacks.
How to make egg salad
There are only a few simple steps to make the best egg salad!
- Hard boil your eggs. Below, I’ll teach you my two favorite methods for cooking eggs.
- Peel and chop the eggs. While you’re at it, chop some red onion.
- Whisk together the egg salad dressing. I do this right in the mixing bowl to save an extra dish.
- Stir everything together.
How to make hard boiled eggs
Since I’ve gotten an Instant Pot, I always cook my eggs in it. Here’s how to make easy-peel Instant Pot hard boiled eggs.
You can also hard boil your eggs on the stove. Fill a pot with cool water and add the eggs. Bring the water to a boil, cover, and turn off the heat. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 14 minutes.
Then drain out the hot water and then let the eggs sit in an ice bath for 10 minutes before peeling. An ice bath is just a pot or bowl filled with ice and water. The ice bath is the key to easy peel eggs! Remove the egg shells right away for easiest peeling.
Egg Salad Ingredients
My easy egg salad recipe includes hard boiled eggs, Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, red onion, salt and pepper. If you have a favorite egg salad ingredient, add it in! This recipe is easy to customize to your tastes.
How to serve egg salad
Serve this egg salad in sandwiches or wrapped in lettuce for a light lunch. My favorite way to eat this egg salad is on a piece of toasted bread, topped with sliced avocado. Try it and let me know how you like it!
How long will egg salad last?
Egg salad will last for 3 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Do not let egg salad sit out at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
Tips for making this healthy egg salad recipe
- Cook and peel your eggs ahead of time and refrigerate. Then your egg salad will be quick and easy to make.
- If you don’t care for Greek yogurt, you can use mayo in this recipe instead.
- Change up the mix-ins to make your best egg salad recipe. Try adding finely chopped celery, shallot or green onion in place of the red onion. Add chives or other fresh herbs.
- You can use yellow mustard in place of the Dijon mustard if you prefer.
Easy Egg Salad
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper or to taste
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion or to taste
- Cook eggs: Fill a pot with cool water and add the eggs. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover the pot with a lid, turn off the heat and let stand for 14 minutes.
- Immediately drain the hot water and fill the pot with cold water and ice. Let sit for 10 minutes and then peel the eggs.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard, plain Greek yogurt (or mayonnaise), salt and pepper.
- Chop the eggs and add them to the bowl, along with the chopped red onion.
- Stir until well combined.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper, as needed.
- Serve egg salad in a sandwich with lettuce, on toasted bread topped with sliced avocado, or in lettuce wraps.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!