Grilled Eggplant Recipe
Fresh Grilled Eggplant with ricotta cheese and balsamic drizzle. A healthy appetizer or delicious side dish that will make you want to eat your serving of vegetables!
Over the past few months, we’ve received a few eggplants in our farm box and I intended to incorporate them into a main dish at some point but it just didn’t happen. Instead, I took the easy route and grilled the eggplant on my grill pan. Have you ever tried grilled eggplant? With just a little olive oil, salt, and pepper, it’s a perfect easy side dish.
If you want to fancy things up a bit, you need to try this Grilled Eggplant recipe with ricotta and balsamic drizzle. For just a little more effort, you can turn your grilled eggplant into a more substantial side.
I’m really good about planning homemade main dishes for my family, but I rarely focus on the side dishes. Typically we’ll have a fresh veggie, fruit, or green salad and that’s that. An ordinary meal feels that much more special when you put a little more thought into the accompaniments.
I used homemade ricotta cheese in this Grilled Eggplant recipe. If you’ve never made homemade ricotta, I highly encourage you to do so. You won’t believe how fast and easy it is, and you likely have the necessary ingredients in your kitchen right now. So pick up some fresh eggplant on your next shopping trip and give this eggplant dish a try.
How to Prepare Eggplant
To prepare the eggplant:
- Wash the eggplant.
- Trim off the stem and bottom.
- Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch thick slices
- Brush both sides of the round slices with olive oil
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
How To Grill Eggplant
- Preheat grill or a grill pan to medium heat.
- Cook until eggplant just begins to soften, 3-5 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat.
Spoon on ricotta cheese, top with parsley and balsamic drizzle (prepare as instructed in the recipe card below). Serve warm.
Grilled Eggplant Recipe
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 large eggplant (or 2 small) , sliced into ½-inch thick rounds.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- chopped fresh basil or parsley, for serving
- Place balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Keep at a low boil, stirring often, until reduced by half in volume and thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, brush both sides of the eggplant rounds with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill the eggplant over medium heat (I used my grill pan) until it just begins to soften, 3-5 minutes per side.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of ricotta cheese on top of each eggplant round. Sprinkle with chopped parsley or basil and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Serve.
I’m embarrassed to admit that it’s been forever since I’ve made eggplant! You are definitely reminding me that I need to change that right away. This looks like the perfect side dish, Kristine! I love the ricotta and balsamic on top. Sounds absolutely delicious!
Thank you, Gayle! I don’t make eggplant that often either, but when I do I love it!
Would you believe that I’ve never had grilled eggplant ever!!? That really needs to change because I seriously can’t even handle how amazing this looks! Looove all that balsamic + ricotta cheese goodness!
You’ve got to try grilled eggplant, Sarah! It’s my favorite way of eating it. 🙂
We love eggplant over here, but don’t usually grill it. This is a great idea, we will have to try it out!
Thank you, Kelly!
This looks incredible!! I loooove ricotta and it sounds delicious on grilled eggplant.
Thank you, Rachel!
What a fresh and healthy dinner idea! We tried growing an eggplant in our garden this year. Did NOT go so well. Got about 4 inches long, then just stopped growing. Whoopsie! Luckily I can still get great eggplants at the farmers market : )
You’ve gotta love the farmer’s market! Although I’m jealous of your garden anyways. 🙂
This looks awesome! Pinning 🙂
Your so right about meals feeling extra special when more thought is put into the sides! My kids get really excited about new food. 🙂 I’m a huge eggplant lover, and so impressed you made your own ricotta! I will have to give it a try next time I grill some eggplant!
I wish my kids got excited about new foods! Maybe when they get older…
Eggplant is a vegetable I don’t cook nearly enough. Need to try this. It looks fabulous!
Thank you, Christin!
Homemade Ricotta?! So cool! Lol. I’ve never made homemade any kind of cheese! This is one gorgeous side dish!
Thank you, Ashley! Ricotta is the only kind of cheese I’ve ever made, and don’t be fooled, it really is SO easy! 🙂
Mmmm what yummy little bites! Eggplant definitely goes awesome with balsamic drizzle! Perfect way to say goodbye to summer. 🙂
Thank you, Jess! I’m glad you enjoy eggplant with balsamic, too!