Grilled Eggplant with Ricotta and Balsamic Drizzle
Creamy ricotta cheese, fresh grilled eggplant, and a balsamic drizzle come together in this recipe that will make you want to eat your serving of vegetables! This Grilled Eggplant with Ricotta and Balsamic Drizzle is an easy and healthy side dish.
We’re nearing the end of eggplant season here, and I wanted to be sure to share this recipe with you before the season ends. Over the past few months we’ve received a few eggplants in our farm box and I intended to incorporate them into a main dish at some point but it just didn’t happen. Instead, I took the easy route and grilled them on my grill pan. Have you ever tried grilled eggplant? With just a little olive oil, salt, and pepper, it’s a perfect easy side dish.
If you want to fancy things up a bit, you need to try this Grilled Eggplant with Ricotta and Balsamic Drizzle. For just a little more effort, you can turn your grilled eggplant into a more substantial side.
I’m really good about planning homemade main dishes for my family, but I rarely focus on the side dishes. Typically we’ll have a fresh veggie, fruit, or green salad and that’s that. I’d like to start creating more easy and healthy side dish recipes, because the side dish category of recipes is pretty slim as of now. An ordinary meal feels that much more special when you put a little more thought into the accompaniments.
I used homemade ricotta cheese in this Grilled Eggplant with Ricotta and Balsamic Drizzle because I happened to have some in my refrigerator at the time. If you’ve never made homemade ricotta, I highly encourage you to do so. You won’t believe how fast and easy it is, and you likely have the necessary ingredients in your kitchen right now.
Homemade ricotta or not, pick up some fresh eggplant and give this easy Grilled Eggplant with Ricotta and Balsamic Drizzle a try. The creamy ricotta is delicious atop the fresh eggplant, and the balsamic drizzle adds a punch of flavor that brings the dish together. And if you use your grill pan, there’s no worry about whether or not it’s grilling weather outside.
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 small or 1 large eggplant, sliced into ½-inch thick rounds.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- chopped fresh basil or parsley, for serving
- Place balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Keep at a low boil, stirring often, until reduced by half in volume and thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, brush both sides of the eggplant rounds with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill the eggplant over medium heat (I used my grill pan) until it just begins to soften, 3-5 minutes per side.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of ricotta cheese on top of each eggplant round. Sprinkle with chopped parsley or basil and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Serve.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!