Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
FREE GROUND BEEF FOR LIFE when you order your first ButcherBox today. Claim Now.
These Peanut Butter Banana Muffins with chocolate chips are easy to make in one bowl. They are a delicious healthy snack or make ahead breakfast!
If you were to come over to my house for coffee, nine times out of ten I’d serve you a homemade muffin alongside your hot beverage. I bake muffins at least once a week and always have a few in my freezer for when we need a quick breakfast or snack.
My favorite healthy muffin recipes include my Healthy Apple Muffins, Cranberry Orange Muffins and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins. Today we’re adding these Peanut Butter Banana Muffins to the favorites list because peanut butter + banana + chocolate is an irresistible combination!
Homemade muffins are a great snack for kids because they are individually portioned and you can make them ahead of time. They’re an easy lunchbox idea and great for grab and go snacks.
I like to snack on one of these peanut butter muffins mid-morning. They satisfy my sweet tooth and contain satiating protein, fat and fiber.
How to Make Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
You can mix up the batter for these peanut butter muffins in just one bowl. It’s quick and easy and you will only have one bowl plus your muffin pan to wash at the end.
Steps to make peanut butter muffins:
- Melt your butter. You can melt the butter in your microwave in a large microwave-safe bowl and then use the same bowl to mix up the muffin batter.
- Whisk in the remaining wet ingredients. You can mash the bananas right in your mixing bowl or in a separate bowl.
- Add the baking soda and salt and whisk well. You want to be sure that these ingredients are mixed in completely.
- Mix in the flour and chocolate chips using a rubber spatula, until just combined. Be careful to not over-mix at this point.
Can I make these peanut butter muffins without banana? I haven’t tested this recipe without banana, but I would try substituting 3/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt or applesauce in place of the bananas.
Can I use natural peanut butter in these muffins? Yes! I make these muffins with natural peanut butter all the time. Regular peanut butter will also work.
Can I make these muffins with almond butter? You can substitute almond butter or another nut butter for the peanut butter in this recipe.
What to serve with Peanut Butter Muffins
Serve these Peanut Butter Banana Muffins for breakfast, lunch or a snack. Make it a meal or energy-boosting snack by serving the muffins with:
- cottage cheese and berries
- plain Greek yogurt and berries
- apple slices and peanut butter
- fresh veggie sticks and dip
- orange or mandarin wedges and cheese
- a hard boiled egg and pear slices
- half a banana and almonds
- grapes and a cheese stick
Baking tips for this peanut butter muffin recipe:
- You can use almond butter in place of the peanut butter in this recipe.
- You can add 1/4 cup of ground flaxseed to your muffin batter for more nutrition.
- Do not over-mix when mixing in the flour and chocolate chips. Mix just until the flour is mixed in to keep your muffins soft and light.
- You can bake this muffin batter in a mini muffin pan. Reduce the baking time to 12 minutes. Mini muffins are a fun size for kids!
Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk whole milk, almond milk, or other
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour or all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 16 wells of two muffin pans with cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in your microwave in a large microwave-safe bowl (or melt in a pan on the stove).
- Add the peanut butter to the bowl with the butter and whisk until smooth.
- Add the bananas to the bowl and mash with a fork.
- Whisk in the honey, eggs, vanilla and milk.
- Add the baking soda and salt and whisk until everything is well combined.
- Add the flour and use a rubber spatula to mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into the greased muffin pans. Bake for 16-17 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- You can bake these muffins in a mini muffin tin for about 12 minutes.
- Muffins freeze well. Cool completely and then freeze in a zip-top bag or other airtight container for up to 3 months.
- You can also store these muffins at room temperature, wrapped airtight, for up to 4 days.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!