Chocolate Banana Bread
This Chocolate Banana Bread is soft, moist and full of rich chocolate and banana flavor. You are going to love a slice for dessert or a snack!
Is there anything better than a slice of perfectly soft and moist banana bread? How about the smell of banana bread baking in your oven? Give me a slice of banana bread and a glass of cold brew coffee and I am a happy woman, especially if that banana bread has chocolate!
Banana bread is a quick bread, meaning that it’s made without yeast and doesn’t need to rise. To make this chocolate banana bread you’ll mix some melted chocolate into half of the banana bread batter. You’ll swirl the chocolate and plain batters together to make the most delicious double chocolate chip banana bread!
Don’t let the swirl intimidate you. I promise this chocolate banana bread is quick and easy to make!
Sometimes I add chocolate chips to this chocolate banana bread and sometimes I don’t… but most often I do because more chocolate is always better. 🙂
If you love the combination of chocolate and banana, try my Chocolate Banana Muffins next!
Why You’ll Love this Double Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- It’s made with simple ingredients that you probably always have in your kitchen.
- It’s a delicious way to use up over-ripe bananas. For the best banana bread flavor, use bananas that are really ripe and sweet.
- It’s made with less sugar than most banana bread recipes, but you’d never guess based on the flavor.
- The batter is mixed up by hand – no mixer required!
How to Make Chocolate Banana Bread
- Melt the butter. The butter adds richness and flavor. Melting it allows you to easily mix the batter by hand.
- Add the sugar and the wet ingredients to the bowl with the butter: mashed banana, eggs, milk and vanilla. Whisk.
- Add baking soda and salt and whisk until well combined. Mixing the baking soda and salt directly into the wet ingredients allows us to make this banana bread in one bowl. You’ll want to whisk the baking soda and salt in really well, so that no clumps are left.
- Mix in the flour with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Fold in half of the chocolate chips.
- Melt the other half of the chocolate chips in the microwave. You can also melt them in a small pan on the stove.
- Add 1 cup of the banana bread batter to the melted chocolate and stir them together.
- Layer the chocolate banana bread batter and the plain banana bread batter in the pan. Use a knife to swirl the two batters together a bit.
- Bake the banana bread. Let it cool before slicing and serving. The flavor of banana bread is better after it cools and cool quick breads also slice much easier.
How to Freeze Banana Bread
- Banana bread freezes well and will stay fresh in the freezer for 3 months.
- You can freeze your loaf of banana bread whole, but I prefer to freeze individual slices because they are easier to thaw.
- Let your banana bread cool completely before freezing.
- Individually wrap each piece of banana bread tightly with plastic wrap and place in a zip-top bag or other airtight container. Freeze.
- Thaw overnight in your refrigerator or at room temperature. Individual slices of banana bread may be thawed in the microwave on a low setting.
Baking Tips for this Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
- As with all quick breads and muffins, be careful to not over-mix the batter. Over-mixing could cause a dense or chewy bread.
- Check the bread after 35 minutes and loosely cover it with a piece of foil to prevent over-browning.
- Do not over-bake your banana bread, or it may dry out. Bake the bread until a tester inserted into the center of the loaf comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
More Banana Recipes
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Flourless Banana Muffins (Blender Muffins)
- Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Healthy Banana Muffins
Chocolate Banana Bread
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (3 medium bananas)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (or white whole wheat)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (divided)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Place the butter in a large, microwave safe bowl. Melt the butter in your microwave. (Or, you can melt the butter in a pot on the stove.)
- Add the sugar, mashed banana, eggs, milk and vanilla to the bowl with the melted butter. Whisk to combine.
- Add the baking soda and salt to the bowl with the wet ingredients. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the flour to the bowl. Use a rubber spatula to mix until just combined. Be very careful not to overmix. Fold in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Melt the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips, either in a glass bowl in the microwave or in a small pot on the stove. Add 1 cup of the banana bread batter to the melted chocolate and stir until combined.
- Spoon the chocolate batter alternately with the plain batter into the greased loaf pan: first put half of the plain batter in the pan, followed by half of the chocolate batter, and repeat. Use a knife to swirl the two batters together. Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top of the loaf, if desired.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center of the bread comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached. Check on the bread at 35 minutes and loosely cover with a piece of foil to prevent the top from over-browning.
- Place the pan on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan and let cool completely on the wire rack.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!