Potato, Spinach and Cheese Egg Casserole + Recipe Video
A hearty vegetarian breakfast casserole that’s perfect for brunch! This Potato, Spinach and Cheese Egg Casserole is also an easy make ahead breakfast. How to recipe video below!
I love to eat eggs for breakfast, but I don’t always have time to prepare them on busy mornings. Lately I’ve been loving make ahead egg breakfasts, like breakfast quesadillas, breakfast burritos, and this Potato, Spinach and Cheese Egg Casserole.
Make this casserole on Sunday, pop it in your refrigerator, and then warm slices as needed over the next few days. With a slice of whole wheat toast on the side, this egg casserole is a delicious and filling breakfast.
This recipe makes a large casserole, so you get a few meals out of your efforts. It’s also perfect to serve for Easter or Mother’s Day brunch, since it can feed a crowd!
My favorite part of this casserole is the cheese – I used pepper jack and loved the spice that it added! The first time that I made this, I had sent the hubby to the grocery store and he came home with sliced pepper jack rather than a block of cheese. Once I got past my “Oh no!” moment, I made do and cut the slices up into pieces, adding them to the casserole that way. It turned out fabulous. The bigger pieces of cheese added so much spicy, cheesy flavor to the finished dish.
The second time I made this egg casserole, I tried it with grated pepper jack. You couldn’t taste the cheese as much in the second casserole, so I’ll make this with chopped slices of cheese from now on. I will add that if you’re serving this to kids who aren’t big on spice, you might try a milder cheese like cheddar or mozzarella.
This casserole is easy to customize with what you add to it. I used onion, bell pepper, spinach, and potato. Veggies like mushrooms and asparagus should be chopped and cooked in the skillet along with the onion and bell pepper. If you try it, let me know what mix-ins you used and how you liked it!
- 1 tablespoon butter (or olive oil)
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1 large russet potato
- 5 ounces (1 ¼ cups) grated pepper jack cheese*
- ⅔ cup plain Greek yogurt**
- ¾ cup milk
- 12 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened (2-3 minutes). Transfer the onion and peppers to the baking dish.
- Add the spinach to the skillet and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute until it wilts slightly. Transfer spinach to the baking dish.
- Peel the potato. Chop the potato into ½-inch pieces, or shred using a box grater. Add potato to the baking dish with the other vegetables. Add the grated cheese and stir to mix.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt and milk until smooth. Add the eggs, salt and pepper to the bowl and whisk until well combined. Pour the egg mixture into the baking dish and stir gently to evenly distribute the vegetables and cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10-20 more minutes, until eggs are set. Serve warm or at room temperature.
**You may substitute sour cream for the Greek yogurt, or omit it completely. The casserole will be delicious either way.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!