Skinny Dark Chocolate Chunk Muffins
FREE GROUND BEEF FOR LIFE when you order your first ButcherBox today. Claim Now.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #AmericasTea #CollectiveBias
A healthy whole-wheat muffin made with flaxseed, these Skinny Dark Chocolate Chunk Muffins are bursting with chocolate chips and topped with crunchy almonds.
I have a serious thing for muffins. What’s not to love? Muffins work for breakfast, a snack, or even a healthier dessert in the case of these Skinny Dark Chocolate Chunk Muffins. They are incredibly quick and easy to make, often requiring no more than two bowls and a spoon. And they are freezer-friendly, making them a perfect grab-and-go breakfast.
One of my favorite things about muffins is that it’s easy to make them healthier… yet these Skinny Dark Chocolate Chunk Muffins completely taste like an indulgence. If I’m going to eat a muffin for breakfast or snack, I want to be sure it has some nutrition to it so I’m not just eating a cupcake disguised as breakfast food. (But it’s completely ok with me that I still feel like I’m eating a cupcake!)
These Skinny Dark Chocolate Chunk Muffins are made with whole-wheat flour and flaxseed. A full cup of applesauce keeps them moist, and honey acts as a natural sweetener to keep the muffins free of refined sugars. The dark chocolate chips and cocoa powder not only make these muffins deliciously chocolatey, but also provide healthy antioxidants. (Yes, I totally qualify chocolate as a health food. You too?)
It’s January. Which means we are right in the middle of that wonderful time of year when it’s all to easy to catch a cold or worse. How do you take care of yourself during the cold and flu season? One thing I do to stay healthy is to make sure to take a few moments for myself each day to relax. We all know that stress leads to a weakened immune system, so it’s so important to find small ways to reduce stress on a daily basis. My favorite way to relax? With a cup of tea and a healthy snack, such as one of these Skinny Dark Chocolate Chunk Muffins along with some almonds or a piece of fruit.
Two of my favorite teas are Bigelow’s Mint Medley and Classic Green Tea. Both pair perfectly with these Skinny Dark Chocolate Chunk Muffins, and both can help you to unwind from your day which is essential to staying healthy during cold, cough, and flu season. Stress weakens immunity, and relaxing with a cup of Bigelow tea is a great stress reliever.
When I do find myself under the weather with a cough or sore throat, a hot cup of Bigelow Tea is my favorite soothing choice to lessen my symptoms and to help me feel better fast. If I’m up in the middle of the night coughing, I head downstairs to brew a cup of tea and I’m back to sleep in no time. Tea is a comforting way to stay hydrated, and green tea is especially full of health benefits. (But do save the green tea for early in the day, as it does contain a small amount of caffeine which is not what you want when you’re trying to get back to sleep in the middle of the night!)
Do I have you craving a cup of tea and a muffin? Not to worry, you can have one of these Skinny Dark Chocolate Chunk Muffins ready for snacking in no time. Simply mix up the dry and wet ingredients separately in two bowls, gently combine, and scoop the batter into a muffin tin. Top with a few extra dark chocolate chips and chopped almonds, and bake. Then it’s time to sit down, relax, and enjoy a few minutes to yourself! You deserve it.
- ⅔ cup white whole-wheat flour
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (4 tbsp.) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate), divided
- ½ cup chopped almonds, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together both flours, flaxseed, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, applesauce, milk, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla until well combined. Whisk in melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until almost combined. You should still see some streaks of dry ingredients throughout. Gently stir in ¾ cup of the chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into the prepared muffin tin, dividing it evenly between the wells. Top with the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips and chopped almonds, pressing them down gently onto the muffins.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Did you know that Bigelow tea is an all-American tea? It’s 100% American made by an American company. Bigelow Tea’s Charleston Tea Plantation is America’s largest working tea garden, and you can visit to take a tour and experience the history. Bigelow also supports our troops overseas with it’s Tea for Troops program. Be sure to check out Bigelow Tea on Facebook and Twitter!
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!