Spinach and Cheese Lasagna Stuffed Zucchini
Enjoy these Spinach and Cheese Lasagna Stuffed Zucchini Boats (with four cheeses!) for a quick weeknight meal! (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
Follow my Dinner Ideas Recipe Board on Pinterest for even more dinner inspiration!
‘Tis the season for zucchini! Is your garden overflowing with zucchini yet? I wish mine was, but sadly we planted just one summer squash plant this year and we’ve yet to harvest any. We do have an artichoke that’s looking promising, though. 😉 When we were watering the garden the other day, I asked William if he would eat some of the artichoke when it’s ready, and he said, “I’ll try it, Mom.” That’s my boy!
I’d been wanting to make a stuffed zucchini recipe for a while, and my first attempt was a sad failure. Rather than re-working that recipe, I started from scratch and made these Spinach and Cheese Lasagna Stuffed Zucchini. With four cheeses. Because we love cheese around here!
Don’t worry, these are still light enough to pass for a healthy dinner. We are trading the pasta for zucchini in this lasagna, right? I’ve used a combination of part-skim ricotta and low fat cottage cheese in the creamy filling for these stuffed zucchini. Both cheeses add protein so this vegetarian meal will fill you up. We like to serve it with a green salad topped with chickpeas and toasted nuts for even more protein and fiber.
The filling for these stuffed zucchini is based off of the filling in these Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Shells. The stuffed shells are one of my family’s favorite recipes, and they’re pretty popular on the blog, too. I’m happy to add this Spinach and Cheese Lasagna Stuffed Zucchini to our dinner rotation, since it makes it easy to get an extra serving of veggies on our plates.
I’ve been taking it slow with the blog this week, and enjoying the summer with my kids. So today’s post ends here – I’m keeping it short and sweet, so you can get straight to the recipe. Enjoy!
- 5 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 4 large zucchini
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese*
- 1 ½ cups (6 ounces) grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups of your favorite marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Defrost the spinach in the microwave. Squeeze out the excess liquid using a clean kitchen towel. Set aside.
- Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape out the insides of the zucchini, forming a well for the filling. Place zucchini in a baking dish.
- Place ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, 1 cup of the mozzarella, the Parmesan, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and stir to combine. Stir in the defrosted spinach.
- Spoon the filling into the zucchini. Top with marinara sauce and the remaining ½ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 minutes more, until cheese is melted and zucchini are tender. Serve.
These lasagna stuffed zucchini…
- are a great way to use up extra zucchini!
- have a double dose of healthy greens from the spinach and zucchini.
- can be made up to a day ahead and then baked when you are ready to eat them.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!