Broccoli Cheddar Mini Frittatas are delicious and healthy little bites! This recipe is part of my Healthy Bites for Kids series, featuring easy recipes for breakfasts, lunches and snacks. While I’ve designed these recipes to be enjoyed by kids, adults will love them too!
I like to serve my kids eggs for breakfast a few times a week, but the old standby, scrambled eggs with cheddar, can get boring. With just a little bit more effort, you can make these Broccoli Cheddar Mini Frittatas. They are fun to eat and filled with veggies and protein. A winning recipe all around!
To make these, you start by steaming the broccoli in a small amount of water. It cooks really quickly – 5 minutes is all it takes. To make your morning even easier, you could make these with leftover broccoli from dinner the night before.
While the broccoli is steaming, saute just a little bit of finely chopped onion. I chopped it finely enough that my kids didn’t even notice it in the frittatas. Do your kids notice everything in their food, the way mine do? Whenever Julia asks “what’s this” about a piece of herb in a dish, I tell her it’s just seasonings, like in these Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos (which she loves, and I desperately need to re-photo!). It seems to work most of the time!
Finally, whisk up the eggs with some milk and pour them into the muffin tins. Add the broccoli, onion, and cheddar, bake, and that’s it. While the mini frittatas are baking, prep some fresh fruit and whole-wheat toast to serve alongside. You’ll have a healthy and delicious breakfast for your whole family.
I loved these mini frittatas. I think I probably ate about six of them myself. I think you (and your family) will love them too!
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onion
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 24-cup mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Cut broccoli into large pieces, removing the thick stems. Place 1-inch of water in a small saucepan, add broccoli, cover, and bring to a simmer. Cook until broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly, then chop into small pieces.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Crack eggs into a liquid measuring cup. Add milk, salt, and pepper, and whisk to combine.
- Pour eggs into muffin tins, filling each about ⅔ full. Sprinkle some broccoli, then onion, and then cheese on top of each. Bake until eggs are set and tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.