Ham, Cheese, and Veggie Frittatas
These individual ham, cheese, and veggie frittatas are a healthy, make ahead breakfast for your busiest mornings!
I try to plan ahead our breakfasts to make sure we have healthy real food options ready for busy school and work mornings. I make a list of breakfasts that my family enjoys, and we choose a few each week to make ahead. Then when Monday mornings hit us, we can start the day off right with an energizing breakfast.
On the weekends, we make a batch of buttermilk pancakes, waffles, or french toast. Either homemade granola or baked oatmeal are in the rotation just about every week. And we usually have eggs once or twice during the week as well.
These ham and cheese Frittata muffins are a perfect way to eat our eggs because we can make them ahead. So even on the busiest of mornings it’s easy to have a hot and nutritious breakfast. I’ll use the microwave to reheat a couple of these from the refrigerator or freezer, add in a piece of fresh fruit, and breakfast is ready. You can also take a couple of these ham and cheese frittatas with you for breakfast on the go if you’re really short on time. Between the quinoa and the eggs these little bites are packed with protein!
These egg muffin cups are a great way to use up leftover ham or extra cooked vegetables.
You can customize the recipe based on your preferences and what you have on hand. Leave out the ham to make these vegetarian, use different vegetables, add feta cheese instead of the cheddar… it’s up to you! You can even make it dairy-free with almond milk.
I think you’ll also love my easiest quiche recipe, this Broccoli Cheese Quiche.
To make these breakfast bites, you’ll first saute a few veggies (if you don’t have any leftover cooked ones). Combine the mix-ins in one bowl, and then crack some eggs into liquid measuring cup or another bowl.
I like to add some some cooked quinoa to these frittatas for extra protein but you can always leave that out if you prefer. Learn how to cook quinoa here.
Do you have any tips or tricks that you’re using to fit healthy foods into your busy life? Make ahead breakfasts are one of the best ways that I plan for healthy eating. When we start our day off with a nutritious breakfast, we’re more likely to continue making healthy choices the rest of the day.
I highly recommend using silicone muffin liners when making these, as they tend to stick to the pan.
Ham, Cheese, and Veggie Frittatas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup minced onion
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 ½ cups loosely packed baby spinach (coarsely chopped)
- ¾ cup chopped cooked ham
- ¾ cup grated cheddar or swiss cheese
- 1 cup cooked quinoa*
- 7 eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened milk or almond milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- avocado slices (for serving (optional))
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tin with silicone muffin liners, or generously spray tin with cooking spray (or line with paper liners); set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes until softened. Add the spinach and cook until slightly wilted, about 30 seconds. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl.
- To the bowl with the vegetables, add the chopped ham, cheddar cheese, and cooked quinoa.
- In a liquid measuring cup whisk together the eggs and milk. Whisk in the salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture into the bowl with the other ingredients and stir to combine.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 12 wells of the prepared muffin tin. (I use my large scoop to make this job quick and easy.)
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, until set. Let cool in the pan for 3 minutes. Run a small rubber spatula or spoon around the edge of each frittata and then remove from pan; serve.
- The Quinoa and Egg Breakfast Bites can be stored in an airtight zip-top bag in the freezer for quick breakfasts.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!