Make these Quinoa and Roasted Broccoli Lunch Bowls ahead of time, and you’ll have a nutritious, protein-packed lunch ready for busy weekdays!
How are you doing with your New Year’s goals? I have to admit that some of the things I wanted to work on are already starting to slide a little bit. Like for a brief few moments I thought I’d cut out sweets and sugar for the month of January… I’ve decided that having an occasional treat is part of my balanced lifestyle. 😉 I’ve given in to cravings for dark chocolate and these scones and that’s ok with me right now.
Another of my goals for the New Year was to have my blog posts written and scheduled a week in advance. Well… I’m typing this just a few days before I plan to post it. But you know what? That’s so much better than the night before writing that I had been doing! Baby steps, right?
One goal that I am making progress on is making on more make ahead recipes. I recently shared these Quinoa Frittatas, which are perfect for make ahead breakfasts, and today we have these Quinoa and Roasted Broccoli Lunch Bowls. Come to think of it, I should have made a goal to cook and bake with quinoa and more quinoa, because I certainly have been doing that!
While we focus on eating healthy foods all year long, January is a time when we refocus our efforts. Quinoa is one of my favorite recipe ingredients because it’s so versatile, and it gives a healthy balance of essential amino acids and protein. Did you know that quinoa also contains almost twice as much fiber as other grains? And it’s naturally gluten-free.
Eating real, whole foods is important to me, and it’s easy to keep a healthy lifestyle with Village Harvest Rice & Grains. Their rice and grains are natural and unprocessed, so you can feel good about using them in your recipes.
I’ve used Village Harvest Red Quinoa in these Quinoa and Roasted Broccoli Lunch Bowls. I just love the slightly chewier and nuttier texture of the red quinoa, and the gorgeous pop of color that it adds to these nourishing bowls. Between the quinoa, the roasted broccoli, and the chickpeas, these lunch bowls will keep you full for hours so you’ll have the energy to power through your afternoon.
I’ve packed these bowls with flavors and textures, so you’ll look forward to lunchtime! The honey-lemon-dijon dressing is a delicious complement to the quinoa and broccoli. You’ll have a little bit of dressing leftover; save it for tossing with tomorrow night’s green salad!
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup uncooked Village Harvest red quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup grapes, halved
- 16 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado, chopped*
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place broccoli florets in a baking dish and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast broccoli for 20-25 minutes, until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, place the quinoa and 2 cups water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a low simmer, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes, until water is absorbed.
- While the broccoli and quinoa are cooking, make the salad dressing. Place all dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
- To assemble the lunch bowls, to each bowl add ¼ of the quinoa, ¼ of the broccoli, ¼ of the grapes, and ¼ of the chickpeas. Slice the avocado and divide it between the bowls. Crumble on the goat cheese and sliced almonds. Drizzle with the dressing and serve.
Find Village Harvest Rice & Grains in a store near you using their product locator.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.