An easy roasted broccoli recipe that you can keep simple or dress up with garlic or Parmesan cheese.
Cooking for a family is not easy. First you make a meal plan. Then you grocery shop. And finally there’s the actual cooking part. And the hope that everyone at the table will enjoy the meal!
When I plan our meals, I try to keep the side dishes really simple to save time. Side dishes are a great place to add more vegetables and fruits to our meals.
The side dish that I make most often? This roasted broccoli.
When given the choice between steamed broccoli or roasted broccoli, I’ll choose the roasted broccoli every time. It’s so much better in both flavor and texture. And it couldn’t be easier to make!
How to make roasted broccoli:
There are just a few simple steps to making the best roasted broccoli. First, wash your broccoli and cut it apart into florets. I’ll usually place the cut broccoli florets onto a towel to make sure all of the pieces are dry before putting them into the baking dish.
You can either roast your broccoli in a glass baking dish or on a metal rimmed baking sheet. Both work equally well. I prefer the glass baking dish because clean up is easier – I just put it in my dishwasher.
After you put the broccoli in the baking dish, drizzle it with some olive oil and sprinkle on salt and pepper. Give it a quick toss to combine and then pop it in the oven. That’s it! It takes just 5 minutes and the result is both delicious and healthy.
Tips for making the best roasted broccoli:
- Dry the broccoli well after washing. Whenever you roast vegetables, you want them to be completely dry before roasting.
- Stir the broccoli halfway through the roasting time to help it to brown evenly.
- Adjust the cook time to your preferences. Cook it longer for more browned bits on the broccoli (delicious!) or for less time for crisper broccoli.
- If you want to add garlic to your roasted broccoli, add it halfway through the baking time to avoid burning.
What should you serve with your roasted broccoli? Just about anything! Here are some of the main dishes that I commonly serve with this easy roasted broccoli:
- 1 ½ pounds broccoli cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves minced garlic or grated Parmesan cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and dry broccoli well. Place broccoli florets in a baking dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss until well combined.
- Roast broccoli for 15-20 minutes, stirring halfway through, until crisp-tender. If adding minced garlic, add it halfway through the baking time and stir to distribute. If using Parmesan cheese, sprinkle it on after baking.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!