Broccoli Kale Superfood Salad
This Broccoli Kale Superfood Salad is a beautiful addition to your fall and winter holiday meals. It’s also a delicious and healthy lunch option.
This post was sponsored by USA Pulses and Pulse Canada. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for me to share recipes with you!
Ever since I first made this Broccoli Salad Recipe, I’ve wanted to make a fall/winter version of my mayo-free broccoli salad. You guys absolutely loved my first broccoli salad recipe, and I know you’re going to enjoy this one just as much!
When I took my first bite of this Broccoli Kale Superfood Salad, I knew this recipe would be a hit. The combination of the sweet-tangy dressing with the crunchy broccoli, crisp apple, creamy chickpeas, toasty pecans and salty feta is irresistible. You’ll definitely want to go back for seconds!
This Broccoli Kale Superfood Salad is full of simple, nourishing ingredients. Between the chickpeas, broccoli, kale, apple and pomegranate seeds, this salad is packed full of nutritious superfoods.
I’ve added chickpeas to this salad for a protein boost. Their creamy texture and nutty flavor is a nice complement to the crisp broccoli and sweet pomegranate seeds.
Did you know that chickpeas are part of the superfood category called pulses? If you’re new to pulses, they are the protein-packed, sustainable foods known as lentils, dry peas, chickpeas and beans. I often cook vegetarian meals for my family and pulses are a great way to make sure that we’re getting enough protein and other nutrients in our diet. Since pulses are rich in protein and fiber, they can help us feel fuller longer.
I’ve signed up for the Half-Cup Habit challenge to add ½ cup of pulses to my diet 3 times a week. I love this challenge because I get tasty recipes delivered straight to my inbox, making it easy for me to add healthy pulses to my family’s meals. You can learn more about pulses and sign up for the Half-Cup Habit at pulses.org.
This colorful broccoli salad is a festive holiday side dish. I also like to eat it for lunch. It’s super satisfying! If you plan to assemble the salad ahead of time, be sure to add the dressing right before serving. Baby kale is a delicate green and will wilt quickly in the dressing.
Below I’ve suggested a few ideas for adapting this salad based on what you have on hand in your kitchen. And for a main dish recipe that features chickpeas, try my One Pot Spanish Chickpea Chicken.
Tips for making this Broccoli Kale Superfood Salad:
- You can make this salad dairy free by omitting the feta cheese. I like the salad both with and without the feta. I also think goat cheese would be delicious!
- If you don’t have pomegranate seeds, dried cranberries are a good substitute.
- Toasted walnuts or pumpkin seeds can be used in place of the toasted pecans.
- You can use green curly kale in place of the baby kale if you like. Green curly kale has a heartier texture and holds up longer in dressing. I used it in these mason jar broccoli salads, which are another yummy way to enjoy chickpeas!
I also recommend these healthy salads for your holiday meal (or any meal, really!):
- Butternut Squash Kale Salad
- Simple Kale Salad Recipe with cranberries and goat cheese
- Butternut Squash Wild Rice Salad
- Spinach and Quinoa Salad
Broccoli Kale Superfood Salad
For the salad:
- 2 cups broccoli florets, cut into small bite-size pieces
- 3 ounces baby kale, about 4 cups loosely packed
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large apple, chopped
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup pecans, toasted
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
For the honey mustard dressing:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately. If preparing salad ahead, wait and add dressing right before serving.
This salad is gorgeous Kristine! We’re totally on the same wavelength because I’ve been working on my own kale-broccoli superfood salad over here. It’s considerably different at least. haha I love everything about this and adding pulses is the best idea to make it extra satisfying!
That is too funny, Marcie! We sure are on the same wavelength when it comes to recipes lately. 🙂 I can’t wait to see your salad!
This Salad is Really Amazing. You are absolutely Right that The combination of the sweet-tangy dressing with the crunchy broccoli, crisp apple, creamy chickpeas, toasty pecans and salty feta is irresistible. Love this Salad. Can’t wait to make this Salad in my Kitchen??
Could you post nutrition values? It would be so helpful!
This recipe was amazing and so refreshing!!! I have been craving healthier meals that are not so heavy and wanted something to balance the traditional Thanksgiving sides like green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and stuffing. Made this recipe very close to instructed (used a spinach and kale mix, then minus the Feta cheese – forgot to buy it!) Absolutely gorgeous, refreshing – just loved everything about it!! Thank you for sharing your recipe.
I’m so happy that you enjoyed this recipe! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. 🙂