Mason Jar Broccoli Salads with Kale and Apple
FREE GROUND BEEF FOR LIFE when you order your first ButcherBox today. Claim Now.
These easy vegetarian Mason Jar Broccoli Salads with Kale and Apple are a delicious make ahead lunch option!
Have you tried making mason jar salads yet? The idea is that you make a batch of healthy salads ahead of time, layer them in mason jars, and then you have a delicious lunch ready for the next few days. I waited so long to try making mason jar salads myself, and now that I have I’m addicted!
These Mason Jar Broccoli Salads with Kale and Apple are an easy, healthy lunch that you can take on the go (or eat at home, depending on your schedule). I definitely notice a difference in my mood and energy level when I have a healthy and tasty lunch planned for the day. Lunchtime should be a time to refuel and recharge for the afternoon ahead, and most days a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (my standby) just doesn’t cut it.
If you like the idea of make-ahead salads, then you’ll also want to try these Chicken Salad Mason Jar Salads. They’re a great alternative to a chicken salad sandwich, and I’ve also made an easy vegetarian version by subbing chickpeas for the chicken.
Both the chicken salad mason jar salads and these broccoli mason jar salads have a creamy Greek-yogurt based dressing. Because if you know me, you know that mayo is not my thing, even in broccoli salad. See also my broccoli casserole and this healthy coleslaw recipe for more no mayo love!
How to layer a mason jar salad, including these mason jar broccoli salads:
- Put the dressing in the jar first.
- Add crunchy veggies on top of the dressing, in this case broccoli. This keeps the rest of the salad from getting soggy!
- Add your protein. Here we’re using chickpeas as a vegetarian protein source.
- Next goes the softer veggies and/or fruit. Here we have bell peppers, red onion, and apples… yum!
- Top with your greens. We’re using kale in these salads because it’s super healthy and delicious with the broccoli and creamy dressing.
- Finally, add nuts or seeds last to keep them crunchy.
- Seal the jars with lids, and store in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to eat, shake it up to mix in the dressing, and enjoy!
You can enjoy your salad straight from the jar, or pour it into a bowl!
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 pinches salt
- a pinch of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 medium apple, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 2 cups chopped kale
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients. Divide dressing evenly between four 16-ounce mason jars.
- Place apple pieces in a bowl and toss with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. (This helps to prevent the apple from browning.) Set aside.
- Layer the rest of the salad ingredients in the mason jars, in this order: broccoli, chickpeas, bell pepper, onion, apple, kale, sunflower seeds.
- Place a lid on each jar. Store salads in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you are ready to eat the salad, shake it up in the jar to mix in the dressing. Then you can either eat the salad straight from the jar, or pour it into a bowl. Enjoy!
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!