Best Brownie Recipe
This Brownie Recipe makes the best rich, fudgy homemade brownies. So quick and easy – you can have these brownies ready to bake in your oven in just 15 minutes.
These homemade brownies are the best way to satisfy a chocolate craving. They’re incredibly fudgy, intensely chocolaty and chewy around the edges. Made with simple ingredients that you probably keep on hand in your kitchen, this brownie recipe is an easy dessert that you’ll be glad to have in your recipe collection.
I’ve added chocolate chips to the brownie batter for an extra burst of chocolate flavor. If you prefer nuts in your brownies, you can stir chopped walnuts or pecans into the batter before baking. Skip the box mix; this from scratch brownie recipe is even better and almost as quick to make.
Like this recipe? Pin it to Pinterest!
Brownie Recipe Ingredients
I love brownies because they’re one of those recipes that I can whip up on a whim since I always have the ingredients in my kitchen. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butter: Melted butter makes the brownies rich and flavorful and helps to give them their fudgy texture.
- Sugar & Brown Sugar: Use a combination of granulated sugar and brown sugar for the best brownies. The brown sugar makes them fudgy and the white sugar makes them chewy.
- Eggs: Eggs make the brownies rich and moist. We’re using 2 eggs in this brownie recipe; adding another egg would give the brownies more of a cakey texture.
- Vanilla: For an extra touch of warm sweetness.
- Salt: An essential ingredient that enhances all of the flavors.
- Flour: All-purpose flour works best here. We’re using only 1/2 cup of flour, which makes the brownies dense and fudgy – almost like a flourless chocolate cake.
- Cocoa Powder: Unsweetened cocoa powder is what gives the brownies their chocolate flavor.
- Chocolate Chips: For an extra dose of chocolate and richness, because the more chocolate, the better!
How to Make Brownies
This brownie batter is made in one bowl. Using an electric mixer to beat the eggs into the butter and sugar helps to make brownies with crackly tops, but you can mix the batter by hand if you don’t have an electric mixer.
- First, prepare an 8×8-inch metal baking pan by spraying it lightly with cooking spray and lining it with a sheet of parchment paper. Leaving a little parchment overhang makes it easy to lift the brownies out of the pan when you’re ready to slice them.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the melted butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and salt. Mix in with a hand mixer on low speed. Then increase the speed to medium and beat for 1 minute, or until the mixture lightens in color.
- Use a rubber spatula to mix in the flour and cocoa powder until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and/or nuts, if using.
- Spread the batter into an even layer in the prepared baking pan. Bake at 350° F for 25-32 minutes. Then let the brownies cool in the pan before slicing.
Tips for the Best Brownies
- Use a hand mixer to beat the eggs into the butter and sugar, mixing until the mixture lightens in color. This will give you those signature crackly tops.
- After adding the flour and cocoa powder, mix the batter just until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Overmixing the batter at this point can lead to cakey brownies.
- Bake brownies in a metal pan (not glass). A metal pan promotes a more even distribution of the heat. Baking in a glass pan can cause the edges to burn before the center is done.
- Try not to overbake. When you test the center of the brownies with a toothpick, you should see some moist crumbs on the toothpick. Bake less for fudgier, gooey brownies, and bake longer for more set brownies.
- If you’d like to add nuts, I recommend using about 1/2 cup of coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Do not use a 9×9-inch pan, or the brownies will be too thin and will likely overbake.
- You can double this recipe and bake in a 9×13-inch metal pan. You may need to adjust the cook time a bit.
Store baked brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. You can also freeze brownies for up to 3 months. I like to slice them into individual squares before freezing. Let them thaw at room temperature or reheat gently in the microwave.
More Dessert Recipes You’ll Love
Here are a few more of our very favorite dessert recipes.
When you need a quick, easy, oh-so-delicious dessert recipe, these brownies are the perfect thing! I’d love for you to try this brownie recipe! Then let me know how they turned out in the comments below.
BEST Brownie Recipe
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted if lumpy
- ½ cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips, optional, and/or chopped walnuts or pecans, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8×8-inch metal baking pan with cooking spray. (Do not use a 9×9-inch pan or the brownies will be too thin and overbake.) Line the bottom and two opposite sides of the pan with a sheet of parchment paper, leaving a bit of overhang on the two edges of the pan.
- Place the melted butter in a large bowl. Add both sugars and mix in with a hand mixer* until combined.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and salt. Beat with the hand mixer first on low to combine, then on medium speed for about 1 minute.
- Add the flour and cocoa powder. Mix in with a rubber spatula until just combined, being careful to not overmix. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan and use the spatula to spread it out into an even layer.
- Bake for 25-32 minutes. For fudgier brownies, bake less (a toothpick should come out a little bit gooey). For more done brownies, a toothpick should come out clean.
- Let cool in the pan completely before slicing. Remove from the pan using the parchment overhang and cut into brownies.
- If you don’t have a hand mixer, you can mix the batter by hand.
- You can double this recipe and bake in a 9×13-inch metal pan. You may need to adjust the cook time slightly.
Hello Kristine, İ tried your brownie recipe and we loved it 😍..
İ tried so many times but never able to make such good ones.
İ am from Pakistan. After making these brownies I am definitely going to try your other recipes too 😊
Thank you for sharing your delicious recipes with us.