Creamy Avocado Vegetarian Burritos
These Creamy Avocado Vegetarian Burritos are a favorite quick and easy vegetarian meal!
Hello, hello friends! How’s life treating you this week? Whether your days have been on the crazy side or you’ve been lucky enough to have a break this week, I know you’ll appreciate this easy avocado burrito recipe with a delicious cilantro lime sauce.
You already know that I love a good 30 minute meal. I’m always working to add more of those to our index of recipes on the site, and I have a pretty substantial collection of 30 minute dinner recipes here already. No matter the season, I want you to be able to find a healthy 30 minute recipe to make for you and your family!
These Creamy Avocado Vegetarian Burritos are my latest 30 minute meal success story. I haven’t written about it much – at least I don’t think I have, after nearly 475 blog posts I’ve started to lose track! – but my family eats vegetarian more nights than not. You may have guessed based on the number of vegetarian recipes I’ve shared here, including:
Avocado Enchiladas (our favorite EASY enchilada recipe)
Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Shells (make-ahead and freezer-friendly)
Sweet Potato Noodles with Peanut Sauce (ready in 30 minutes!)
Greek Quinoa Grilled Zucchini Boats (a summertime favorite)
and so many more!
Passing on meat most of the time benefits both our health and our budget. Beans, eggs, dairy, and even protein-rich grains like quinoa are generally more budget-friendly than animal sources of protein. Avocados, technically a fruit, are high in healthy unsaturated fats and are also high in potassium and fiber but low in sugar. Eat more avocados!
Back to these Creamy Avocado Vegetarian Burritos. These burritos are packed with veggies, avocado and beans. I like to use pinto, but black beans would be delicious as well. To add a little something special to these burritos, we’re adding a chili-cilantro-lime yogurt sauce to the filling. Not too much, but just enough to give a little creaminess to each bite. If you’re not a fan of creamy, you can omit the sauce.
Avocado Burritos Are a Complete Meal:
- vegetables… check.
- whole grains in the tortilla… yep!
- pinto beans (and Greek yogurt) for protein.
- olive oil and avocado with healthy fat.
Creamy Avocado Vegetarian Burritos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bell peppers any color, thinly sliced into strips
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ lime, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 15 ounce can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 4 large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup grated Monterey jack cheese
- 2 small or 1 large avocado peeled, pitted and chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bell peppers and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, whisk together Greek yogurt, lime juice, chili powder, and cilantro in a small bowl.
- Warm the beans for a few minutes in a small saucepan over low heat. Warm the tortillas between paper towels in the microwave.
- To assemble the burritos, spread ¼ of the yogurt mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top with peppers and onions, beans, cheese and avocado. Fold up burritos and serve.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!