Greek Quinoa Grilled Zucchini Boats
Greek Quinoa Grilled Zucchini Boats, stuffed with seasoned quinoa, olives, tomatoes, and feta. This easy recipe is also healthy, vegetarian, and gluten free!
I love zucchini in all forms. My favorite way to eat it is simply grilled with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. It’s the easiest summer side dish! For today’s recipe I’ve taken that grilled zucchini, stuffed it with a flavor-packed Greek quinoa, and called it dinner. This is a meal that will make both your tastebuds and your waistline very happy!
Have you tried stuffed zucchini yet? If you go on Pinterest, you’ll see zucchini boats pop up from time to time. I never knew they were such a thing until this summer, and I had yet to try them until recently. Once I made these vegetarian lasagna zucchini boats, I was hooked! I can’t say which I like more – those lasagna zucchini or these Greek Quinoa Grilled Zucchini Boats. I guess it depends on if you’re in the mood for warm and cheesy, or grilled zucchini with salty olives, fresh tomatoes, and feta!
These Greek Quinoa Grilled Zucchini Boats take just 30 minutes to make. I like to grill the zucchini on my grill pan, so that’s an option if you don’t have access to an outside grill or just don’t want to use it. While the quinoa cooks you’ll grill your zucchini and start chopping the veggies.
Between the protein-packed quinoa and the zucchini, these zucchini boats are a filling meatless meal. You can easily make them vegan by omitting the feta.
Today is 30 minute Thursday, which means I have 5 more 30 minute meals to share with you! Here are the easy dinner recipes that my friends are sharing today:
Greek Chicken Kabobs with Tzatziki Sauce from Bake.Eat.Repeat
One Pot Thai Peanut Veggie Pasta from Flavor the Moments
Chilled Lettuce, Cucumber and Pea Soup from Floating Kitchen
One Pan Chicken Enchilada Bake from Pumpkin ‘N Spice
Healthier Skillet Lasagna from The Recipe Rebel
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 4 large zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives, quartered
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese (omit to make vegan)
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water and drain. Place quinoa and 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer, and cover. Cook for 10 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Transfer to a large bowl to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise and use a small metal spoon to scoop out the insides. Brush cut sides of zucchini with olive oil. Grill zucchini, cut side down, for 4-6 minutes, until crisp-tender. Transfer to a baking dish or baking sheet.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, oregano, and salt. Stir it into the quinoa.
- Halve the tomatoes, quarter the olives, and chop the red onion and parsley. Add these to the bowl with the quinoa, along with the feta cheese. Stir to combine.
- Scoop filling into the grilled zucchini boats. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Zucchini boats may be served cold or at room temperature.
These grilled zucchini boats pack a nutritious punch!
- Zucchini is low in calories, yet very filling thanks to its high water and fiber content. Zucchini is also a good source of many vitamins and minerals.
- Quinoa is a complete protein, meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids. It is higher in fiber than most other grains and a good source of manganese, magnesium, and iron.
- Tomatoes provide vitamin C and lycopene, an antioxidant that may help in cancer prevention. Add some to the side of your plate for even more nutrition!
- Fast and fresh meals like this one leave you with more time to do the things you love, like go for a walk and enjoy your family!
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!