Easy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
Easy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice is a family dinner favorite! Brown rice, chicken and veggies all cook together in your Instant Pot in this delicious chicken and rice recipe.
Do you have an Instant Pot? Or are you still on the fence about whether you really need one? If you’re not sure, I was right where you are about nine months ago. Guess what?
I am now a huge advocate of the Instant Pot for making a busy mom’s life easier.
One of the hardest parts about cooking for a family is that there are always a million things going on at once when you have kids. You need some help to get dinner on the table. How do I do it with four young kids? I use my Instant Pot and my slow cooker. Almost every day. Both of these tools allow me to spend less time in the kitchen and more time with my family.
Read my guide with the most important things you need to know about how to use an Instant Pot.
Pin this recipe to save it for later
This easy chicken and rice is one of my favorite instant pot recipes because it’s a one pot meal. It’s comforting, family-friendly and healthy. All you need to round out the meal is a green salad or another fresh fruit or veggie, and possibly some crusty bread. Bellies will get full, everyone will be happy, and you’ll be so glad you found this quick dinner recipe to add to your rotation!
Once you get the ingredients for this pressure cooker chicken and rice prepped and into your Instant Pot, the work of dinner is done. You’ll set it and forget it, and then come back (about 40 minutes) later to chop the chicken and stir in the peas. Then dinner is served!
How to make Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
I recommend having all of your ingredients out before you start cooking. Chop the onion and carrots and peel the garlic. Get your spices out. Rinse the rice and set it aside to drain.
You’ll use the saute mode on your Instant Pot to soften the veggies. It takes the Instant Pot a few minutes to heat up on saute mode, but once it does the pot gets pretty hot so you won’t have a lot of extra time to prep ingredients.
After the onions and carrots have softened a bit, you’ll stir in the garlic, rice and seasonings and cook for one minute more to develop the flavors and toast the rice. Stir everything together as it cooks and then turn off the Instant Pot.
Next, you’ll stir in the broth and then add the chicken on top. Be sure to stir in the broth well and make sure that no bits of food are stuck to the bottom of the pot, as this could cause you to get a burn warning once you start pressure cooking. You won’t stir in the chicken, you’ll just lay it on top of the rice mixture.
Then you’ll close the lid and pressure cook for 20 minutes. Once the pressure has released, you’ll chop the chicken and add it back to the pot with the rice and veggies. Stir in some frozen peas and serve!
Tips for making Easy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Be sure to rinse the rice well before cooking.
- When you add the broth to the pot, be sure to scrape up any bits stuck to bottom of your Instant Pot with a spatula before adding the chicken. This will ensure that you don’t get a burn warning during the pressure cooking time.
- It’s helpful to have your ingredients all ready before you start to saute your vegetables, as the recipe moves quickly from that point.
- If you want more veggies, try adding a chopped bell pepper along with the carrots. If you’d like to add broccoli, stir in some steamed chopped broccoli after pressure cooking. The broccoli will get too mushy if you pressure cook it along with everything else.
Try these other delicious Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Honey Garlic Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
Easy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion 1 small onion
- 4 medium carrots cut lengthwise and then chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ cups long grain brown rice uncooked, rinsed well and drained (do not substitute other types of rice)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup frozen peas
- fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- Turn a 6 quart or larger Instant Pot to saute setting. Add the olive oil, onion and carrots. Saute, stirring, until the vegetables start to soften, 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, brown rice, Dijon mustard, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute, stirring. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add the chicken broth and stir until well combined, making sure to scrape up any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pot. Make sure that all of the rice and vegetables are in the liquid, not on the sides of the pot. Place the chicken breasts on top of the rice mixture. Do not stir.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the pressure valve to sealing. Pressure cook on high for 20 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 12 minutes (by leaving it off after it finishes cooking).
- Then, carefully do a quick pressure release (use the handle of a long spoon to carefully turn the valve to venting) to release the remaining steam and pressure. Once the float valve drops down, carefully open the Instant Pot away from you, as the steam will be hot.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and chop into bite-size pieces. Stir the chicken back into the rice mixture, along with the peas.
- Serve with fresh parsley and grated Parmesan, if desired.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!