BBQ Chicken Pizza
I’ve mentioned before that we make pizza at home about every other week. It’s much healthier (especially with whole wheat crust) and more budget-friendly than ordering out. We’ve gotten pretty good at putting together a homemade pizza around here, and it really doesn’t take long at all. Last time, I happened to have some BBQ sauce and Gouda cheese in the fridge that needed using up, as well as leftover grilled chicken from the previous night’s dinner. While I hadn’t had it on the meal plan, I think this BBQ chicken pizza was meant to be!
I love making this pizza with my homemade BBQ sauce, but you can also use store bought.
If you haven’t tried making your own pizza crust yet, don’t be intimidated by the thought of it. It is so easy! I use my stand mixer and the dough comes together in about 10 minutes. One recipe yields two balls of pizza dough, so you can use one and freeze the other for next time. Here are a few of my other favorite ways to top a homemade pizza:
BBQ Chicken Pizza
Makes 1 pizza
- 1 ball whole wheat pizza dough
- About ¾ cup BBQ sauce, divided
- 4 oz. grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz. grated Gouda cheese
- 1 cup cooked chicken, sliced into bite-size pieces
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- Sliced green onions or chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven with a pizza stone inside to 500 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pizza dough to a 12-14 inch round and place on a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet (for easy transfer to the baking stone).
- Spread a thin layer of BBQ sauce over the crust. Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly over the sauce.
- Place the chicken in a small bowl and toss with about ¼ cup of the BBQ sauce. Evenly distribute the chicken pieces over the pizza, and then the red onion. Sprinkle the Gouda cheese evenly over the top.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 425 degrees. Transfer the pizza on the parchment paper to the baking stone in the oven and bake for about 8-10 minutes, until the cheese and crust begin to brown. Remove the pizza from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Top with sliced green onions or fresh cilantro, slice, and serve.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!