Easy Coleslaw Recipe
A creamy coleslaw recipe that comes together in minutes. The perfect side dish for summer BBQs. Made with your choice of mayonnaise or healthier Greek yogurt.
Judging by the popularity of my Broccoli Salad, I’m not the only one who loves creamy summer salads. Whether you like mayo or not, this creamy, CRUNCHY coleslaw is for everyone since it can be made with mayonnaise or Greek yogurt.
We love this coleslaw as a topping for slow cooker BBQ chicken, served on a brioche bun, or as a side with grilled chicken. This coleslaw is a great side dish when grilling. Add a macaroni salad, grilled corn salad or red potato salad and your BBQ is complete.
It can be tempting to pick up some ready-made coleslaw at the grocery store, but once you try this version with homemade dressing you won’t want to go back!
How to Make Coleslaw:
- Chop the cabbage or use pre-shredded coleslaw mix. You can use green cabbage, red cabbage or both. See my step by step photos below for how to chop cabbage quickly.
- Use shredded carrot or grate the carrot. I recommend using a box grater since you are only grating 1 large carrot.
- Slice the apple and toss it with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients: Greek yogurt or mayonnaise, plus a little honey, apple cider vinegar, Dijon, salt and pepper. Optionally add 1 teaspoon of celery seed.
- Toss everything together and serve chilled.
- This slaw is the best on the first day. You can make it early in the day to save time later on. It is still good on the second day. I recommend eating it in the first two days.
Feel free to save a few minutes by buying a bag of pre-shredded cabbage and carrot if you like. Sometimes I do, but this time I decided to shred my own. It took just a few minutes, and here’s a step-by-step photo tutorial of the easiest way to shred cabbage:
The first time I made this coleslaw, I tried shredding the apple in my food processor. It turned brown in a matter of minutes and then I had to clean the food processor. Instead, I recommend you chop it in thin slices and toss with a little lemon juice. Even after two days it still looks fresh. The slices of apple also add a nice pop of color in this coleslaw recipe.
I continue to make this easy coleslaw recipe year-round since it’s a delicious and side dish for so many meals. I used to not like coleslaw at all because the mayo-based dressing did not appeal but this recipe works for everyone. Use mayo or Greek yogurt, your choice! Are you a coleslaw fan? What’s your favorite meal to enjoy it with? My favorite is with this Instant Pot pulled pork.
- 1 green cabbage (shredded (about 6 cups))
- 1 large or 2 small carrots (grated)
- 1 apple (thinly sliced)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise
- 2 ½ tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Combine cabbage and carrot in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, toss the apple slices with the lemon juice. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt or mayonnaise , honey, apple cider vinegar, Dijon, salt, and pepper until well combined. Pour the dressing over the cabbage and carrots and mix until the vegetables are evenly coated.
- Drain the apple slices, add them to the coleslaw, and toss gently to mix.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate. Coleslaw is best the first and second day.
This Coleslaw Recipe is delicious:
- on pulled pork sandwiches.
- as a side dish for grilled burgers or honey dijon grilled chicken.
- for lunch with your favorite sandwich- mine is chicken salad!
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!