Easy Oven Baked Salmon Recipe
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
This easy oven baked salmon recipe is our favorite! The salmon is cooked in a honey, Dijon and garlic glaze and takes just 10 minutes of prep time. This delicious salmon recipe is perfect for a fancy dinner or weeknight meal!
If you’re looking for an easy salmon recipe that your whole family will love, look no further. This is the recipe that I make when I want an easy, healthy dinner that both the kids and adults will enjoy. My kids request this salmon for dinner all the time!
This baked salmon recipe turns out perfect every time. The fish cooks until it’s perfectly moist and flaky. The salmon is smothered in a simple glaze that’s made with just five pantry ingredients. As the salmon cooks in the honey garlic sauce it becomes so flavorful!
This is my go-to recipe for salmon. Try it and you will see why!
Then try one of my other healthy dinner ideas: juicy baked chicken breasts, the best baked pork chops and crispy baked chicken thighs and easy fish tacos. When you want to cook an easy and healthy dinner in your oven, these recipes are perfect!
You will love this easy salmon recipe because:
- It is so simple and easy to make! There’s very little prep for this recipe. Ten minutes, tops. This salmon recipe is a 30 minute meal, start to finish.
- The sauce is made with just a few ingredients, and it gives the salmon the best flavor!
- There is virtually no clean up. Line your baking dish with parchment paper or foil and clean up is a breeze.
How to Cook Salmon
Making this salmon recipe is easy. I’ll walk you through how to cook salmon, and I’ll give you my tips for making the best tender and flavorful baked salmon.
- Choose wild caught salmon. For the best quality and sustainability, choose wild caught salmon. The salmon should have shiny skin and the flesh should look moist and vibrantly colored. Fresh salmon shouldn’t smell overly fishy.
- Let salmon come to room temperature. Take your salmon out of the refrigerator when you are ready to get started with this recipe. While you prepare the other ingredients, the fish will begin to come to room temperature. This helps the salmon to cook evenly.
- Line the baking dish for easy cleanup. You can use either parchment paper or foil to line your baking dish.
- Make a simple glaze. The glaze adds both flavor and moisture to the salmon. For the glaze you will need olive oil, soy sauce, honey, Dijon mustard and garlic.
- Cook salmon as a whole fillet, with the skin on. Leaving your salmon fillet whole and then cutting it into slices after baking will help the salmon to cook evenly. Cooking salmon with the skin on helps to keep it moist. You’ll bake your salmon with the skin side down. You can easily remove the skin after cooking if you wish. To do this, use a thin metal spatula or knife to separate the skin from the baked salmon flesh.
- Brush salmon with glaze a second time. You’ll brush about 2/3 of the sauce on the salmon before it bakes. Then, when the salmon is almost cooked through, brush on the remaining glaze and bake a few minutes more.
- Don’t overcook your salmon. Perfectly cooked salmon will be tender, moist and flaky. If you overcook salmon it can dry out easily. The FDA recommends cooking salmon to 145 degrees F. To check the temperature of your salmon, insert an instant read thermometer into the thickest part of the fish. Salmon can go from almost done to overcooked very quickly, so watch it carefully during the last few minutes of baking time. The salmon will continue to cook a bit more after you remove it from the oven, so you can remove it when it is 140 degrees if you wish.
How Long to Bake Salmon in the Oven
The exact baking time will depend on the thickness of your salmon fillet. A one pound salmon fillet will take about 12-20 minutes to cook in the oven, at 400 degrees F. Begin checking on your salmon early and then you can always cook it more if it’s not done.
What to Serve with this Salmon Recipe
I like to serve a vegetable and a starch with this baked salmon. Some options for the veggie are roasted broccoli, air fryer asparagus, green beans or a spinach salad. Instant Pot mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, Instant Pot baked potatoes, air fryer baked potatoes or brown rice are also perfect side dishes for salmon.
More Salmon Recipes
Favorite Easy Oven Baked Salmon
- 1 ½ pound salmon fillet, skin on
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Remove the salmon from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a rimmed baking sheet or 9x13-inch baking dish with foil (for easy clean up).
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, olive oil, honey, Dijon and minced garlic.
- Place salmon, skin side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Reserve ⅓ of the sauce in a clean dish and spoon/brush the remaining ⅔ of the sauce over the salmon.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then brush on the remaining sauce. Bake 2-5 minutes more, until internal temperature of the fish reaches 145° F on an instant read thermometer, or salmon is cooked to your desired doneness. Serve.
- You can also cook the salmon cut into 4 individual fillets instead of one large piece. Individual fillets will cook through faster, so start checking on them after 12 minutes in the oven.
My kids are still picky and they’re in high school. I don’t know when that will ever change! Salmon is one of our go-to meals and I know they would love this!
Picky eating is so frustrating! At least we have salmon! 🙂
This was a great, easy weeknight meal for the nonvegetarians in our family. Thanks for a good recipe!
I’m so glad your family enjoyed this, Vivian!
My salmon skin stuck to my wax paper and my glaze smoked heavily. Fish was still delicious. Just need to know what I did wrong.
Wax paper should not be used in a hot oven. Please make sure you are using parchment paper for this recipe. Any sauce with high sugar content or honey including this recipe may burn a little where it touches the hot dish but should not burn on top of your fish.
I love salmon, but unfortunately my husband doesn’t. But heck with that it sounds to good to miss!!
So I will just fix him something else or maybe give him a leftover hamburger patty from a previous meal. Cause I am going to fix me this!! Thanks for the recipe!!
Ha! I hope you love it! 🙂
I kept lasagna rolls in the freezer, for just this kind of scenario. DH hated fish (religious “fish every Friday and during 6 weeks of Lent), and I love it!!!
My kids have never had salmon, and I made this tonight and they ALL! THREE! ATE! IT! They LOVED IT! I just called it meat, because they are weird if they know too much. Thank you so much for a new go to recipe!??
That is awesome! I’m laughing about how you said they are weird if they know too much. My kids are like that too! 😉
Tried the easy oven baked salmon.
Follow the recipe to the tee.I was very impressed.It was very tasty and simple.Thanks for the recipe.
I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for taking the time to let me know.
This is delicious! I made the salmon last week and was craving the same flavor so made the sauce with shrimp! I’m making this salmon for family Sunday dinner and am sure to impress my folks with an easy but amazing dish!
I’m glad you’re enjoying this recipe! It’s one that I make often!
Love the glaze.
Heavy rain & lightning prevented us from grilling our salmon, as we always do. I decided to try this recipe, which turned out so delicious that we may never grill salmon again! I followed the recipe exactly and it was absolutely perfect!
This recipe was fabulous! This was my first time cooking salmon and I was nervous about it turning out but my dad and brother loved it! Thank you!
I’m new to making salmon bc I’m allergic to fish but would like to make it for guests. Can I make this wrapped in foil at a lower temp? I’d like to use a 2lb piece and am concerned the 400 degrees is too high for it to get cooked through w/o burning or over cooking. Thoughts???
You can bake a 2 pound salmon fillet wrapped in foil at 375 degrees. It will take between 15 and 25 minutes to cook through, depending on how thick the salmon is. If it is a thin fillet be sure to check it early to make sure it doesn’t overcook. Salmon should be cooked to 145 degrees F at the thickest part of the fish.
OMG I have found the perfect recipe. For years I just couldn’t get the right recipe for salmon. Until I found this!! My kids who don’t like seafood LOVE this!!
Though I did add 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
This makes my day! I’m so glad that everyone enjoyed this, especially the kids!!
This sauce is so yummy. I can see myself using it on other dishes as well. Thanks for posting and also for not going overboard (sometimes people just write way too much junk)…
Thank you. I know some of my posts are long but I try to stick to information that helps the recipe turn out perfect.
I have never liked salmon before but my husband loves it. So I decided to try this recipe. WOW!!!! The taste is amazing! My husband can’t stop raving about it. Thank you so much. We have a new dinner that’s healthy and delicious.
Thank you so much for this quick salmon recipe! I just made this evening for our early dinner and it was delicious ?. Have a blessed Sunday evening..
I’m so glad that you enjoyed it! Thank you for taking the time to let me know. 🙂
Tasty meal! I enjoyed being able to prep the sauce ahead of time with kids napping and at cooking time simply be able to pour and bake too. We ended up with more than enough sauce for our meal of about 1.5 pounds of salmon. I only had skinless salmon which worked out fine. Thanks for a great recipe!
Very good! Printed it out to put in my favorite recipes. Had to sub honey mustard for the dijon mustard as I didn’t have any on hand. Will try with the dijon next time. Thank you for sharing!
This oven baked salmon recipe is something my family could never get bored of. (My husband and I have no self-control when it comes to salmon.) Perfect for an easy, healthy dinner. Highly recommend everyone to give the recipe a try. Believe me, the taste is just phenomenal.
Many thanks for the utterly fabulous recipes! Your blog is wonderful. I appreciate all of your hard work and effort. Keep it up <3
I’m so glad you are enjoying this recipe! Thank you for your thoughtful comment. 🙂
I had been doing basically the same thing as this, but on the stove. This is wonderful, and there’s no spatter in the kitchen to clean up. I put in potatoes (parboiled, salt, pepper, olive oil) in the oven about 15 minutes before I put in the salmon. That and some steamed broccoli made it a fabulous dinner. I’ll definitely be using this one in regular rotation. Thanks!
I make this recipe just about every week, and it never gets old! Thanks so much for posting ?
I’m so glad you’re enjoying this one, Valerie!
So good! I have made this several times and we never have leftovers, even my most picky toddler will eat it up! Definitely the only salmon recipe I use now after trying so many!
Made this last night. Lots of flavor and so easy for a weeknight dinner. Thanks!
Holy cow! Just made this and I am blown away. Substituted avocado oil and liquid aminos for olive oil and soy sauce (basically the same things, though), and I am in love! Kudos to you!
Family loved it. And I had to use lime juice I had already, since I forgot to get lemons. But I added lemon pepper. Whatever…still delicious.
This recipe was easy and delicious. Maybe something is wrong with my oven but it took a little longer than 15 minutes. I would say about 25 minutes but other than that super delicious worth the wait.
I just made this for dinner for my step son and I and we both loved it. It was so simple but yet delicious! Thank you so much so this amazing recipe!
One of the best recipes for salmon!! My kids loved it!!
Thanks for this recipe!! It was easy and super delicious. I made some minor changes. I left out the mustard simply because I do not like mustard. And for the last 3-5 minutes I put it under the broiler. Will definitely be making again!
Loved this. Will definitely make again!
I have some individual quick frozen 1/4 pound each salmon fillets. Would I be able to use those right out of the freezer for this recipe, or should I defrost them? Also what do you think the baking time would be in either case, frozen or thawed for the 1/4 pound pieces? Thank you so much!
I would recommend thawing the salmon before cooking. The cook time for 1/4 pound pieces of salmon will probably be about 15 minutes, depending on how thick the pieces of salmon are.
We would normally grill salmon, but it’s very cold in Western NY this time of year! I found this baked salmon recipe and my husband and I loved it!! The sauce is really delicious. We will definitely make this again!
This was INCREDIBLE! I used (slightly) less honey due to diabetes but still SO GOOD!!!!!! I may even make it for the family I nanny for! I think the kiddos would love it!
I made this and it was delicious, Moist and juicy.
This was so easy and absolutely delicious!! This will definitely be on our dinner table quite often!
Simply … THANK YOU!! I’m also a parent of a picky 13 yo, and this was a hit: “OMG, this is awesome!” So, please tell me you have a meatloaf recipe he’ll love too?!? LOL (but seriously 🙂
Hi Toni, I’m so glad this was a hit!! I don’t have a meatloaf recipe currently but it’s on my list of recipes to work on. 🙂
Made this for dinner tonight. It was excellent and so easy to make. I will make this again.
My family loves salmon so I’m always looking for new unique delicious ways to make it. This recipe was amazing & did not disappoint. It was packed with flavour & a huge hit. Thanks for this, it’s a keeper!
This is very simple, tastes great and is very healthy. Thank you for the recipe. I seared the filet in a hot pan first and cut the bake time by a couple minutes.
Delish! The best tasting salmon! Can’t wait to make this again!
Sounds delicious. Could you make this in an air fryer or would it burn?
Yes, you can cook the salmon in the air fryer. I’d suggest marinating it in the sauce and then discarding the marinade when you put the salmon in the air fryer. Here’s my air fryer salmon recipe to use as a guide for cook time. 🙂