Simple French Onion Soup Recipe
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
A Simple French Onion Soup Recipe that’s full of rich flavor. Topped with cheesy toasted bread, this soup is impossible to resist!
I shared this recipe on RecipeGirl.com.
If I’m being completely honest, French onion soup is usually not my first choice when it comes to soups. It’s a little too rich for my tastes… most of the time. But recently I wanted to create a new soup recipe, and I was craving something different than my usual favorite pureed soups or dump-and-go soups.
I decided to do my take on the classic French onion and it did not disappoint! There are many, many recipes for French onion soup out there. Mine is simple and lightened up, just a bit. I used as little butter and sugar as I could to caramelize the onions. A combination of butter and olive oil helps the onions to cook down without burning, and a touch of sugar also helps the process along.
This Simple French Onion Soup Recipe is full of the rich flavor that you expect from French onion soup. My favorite part is the cheesy toasted bread on top, and I always make extra for dunking!
If you’re worried that French onion soup is difficult or time-consuming to make, don’t be. There are four basic steps, and each is easy and short on active time. The finished product is well worth the time that you’ll wait for the onions to caramelize and the soup to simmer on your stove. I’m getting hungry just thinking about it!
What are the four steps to making this Simple French Onion Soup Recipe? Caramelize the onions. Simmer the soup. Toast the bread. Put the soup under the broiler to melt the cheese! Bam! Rich and hearty French onion soup, ready for you to enjoy at home!
We had one bowl of this soup left over and it was calling my name at lunchtime one day. A hot bowl of French onion soup and toasty, cheesy bread was pretty much perfection on a cold rainy day.
I still don’t think I’ll make this soup all that often, but it will definitely make an appearance on my table for special dinners. Date night in, perhaps?
Enjoy the rest of your week, friends! And tell me, when it comes to French onion soup are you an always or a sometimes fan?
Simple French Onion Soup Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds yellow onions about 3 onions, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 slices baguette bread
- 4 ounces 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 ounce ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- optional garnish: fresh thyme
- Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onions and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, lightly browned and caramelized, about 30 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper and flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the beef broth and add the bay leaf to the pot. Increase heat to bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste soup and season with more salt and pepper as needed.
- Place baguette slices on a baking sheet and toast under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Spoon soup into 4 oven-safe bowls. Place 2 baguette slices on top of each bowl of soup. Sprinkle on grated Gruyere and Parmesan. Place bowls on a rimmed baking sheet and transfer to the oven. Heat under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Serve.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!