Carrot Ginger Soup
This easy Carrot Ginger Soup is made with just six ingredients. Finish with a touch of half and half for extra creamy texture or keep it vegan with coconut milk. This Carrot Ginger Soup is sure to become one of your favorite meals to enjoy on a chilly day.
I crave soup during fall and winter weather. There is something about a steaming mug of soup on a chilly day that just makes me happy. I have a few favorite recipes that I always make each fall and winter, plus new favorites like this Butternut Squash Soup and this Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup. My old standbys, the ones I’ve been making for years, include Potato Soup (you’ve got to try it), Broccoli Cheese Soup, and today’s Ginger Carrot Soup recipe.
This Carrot Ginger Soup is not new to the blog. I first shared it here in 2010 and I still get so excited each time it’s on my weekly menu.
How to Make Carrot Ginger Soup
Besides being my favorite carrot soup recipe, it’s also one of the easiest to make.
This soup starts as all good soups should, with onion and butter or olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot. To the softened onions, you add the carrots, fresh ginger, and broth. Then, simmer until the carrots are tender. For a creamy texture, puree until smooth in a blender. For a richer soup, add a splash of half-n-half.
To keep the soup vegan, omit the half-n- half and use vegetable broth.
At the risk of repeating myself, I’m going to say once more that this really is the best soup. The sweetness of the fresh carrots is nicely balanced by the spicy fresh ginger. I love to serve this Carrot Ginger Soup with a dollop of sour cream. I think you’ll find you have a new favorite, too.
Garnish with your choice of chives, dill, parsley, and pepper.
Carrot Ginger Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 2 sweet yellow onions chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 pounds carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons peeled fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 cup half-n-half or coconut milk
- salt and pepper
- In a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat, melt butter or heat olive oil. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, carrots, and ginger. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Puree soup until smooth, either using an immersion blender or by transferring soup to a blender and then returning it to the pot.
- Stir in the half-n-half or coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup in bowls, garnish with your choice of chives, parsley, dill or sour cream.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!