Carrot Ginger Soup
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
This easy Carrot Ginger Soup is made with just six ingredients. Finish with a touch of half and half for extra creamy texture or keep it vegan with coconut milk. This Carrot Ginger Soup is sure to become one of your favorite meals to enjoy on a chilly day.
I crave soup during fall and winter weather. There is something about a steaming mug of soup on a chilly day that just makes me happy. I have a few favorite recipes that I always make each fall and winter, plus new favorites like this Butternut Squash Soup and this Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup. My old standbys, the ones I’ve been making for years, include Potato Soup (you’ve got to try it), Broccoli Cheese Soup, and today’s Ginger Carrot Soup recipe.
This Carrot Ginger Soup is not new to the blog. I first shared it here in 2010 and I still get so excited each time it’s on my weekly menu.
How to Make Carrot Ginger Soup
Besides being my favorite carrot soup recipe, it’s also one of the easiest to make.
This soup starts with onion and butter or olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot. To the softened onions, you add the carrots, fresh ginger, and broth. Then, simmer until the carrots are tender. For a creamy texture, puree until smooth in a blender. For a richer soup, add a splash of half and half or coconut milk.
To keep the soup vegan, use olive oil, vegetable broth and coconut milk when making the soup.
At the risk of repeating myself, I’m going to say once more that this really is the best soup. The sweetness of the fresh carrots is nicely balanced by the spicy fresh ginger. I love to serve this Carrot Ginger Soup with a drizzle of half and half or coconut milk. I think you’ll find you have a new favorite, too.
Carrot Ginger Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 pounds carrots (peeled and sliced ⅛ inch thick, about 10 medium/large)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons peeled fresh ginger (finely chopped)
- ½ cup coconut milk (can substitute half and half or heavy cream)
- salt and pepper
- In a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter (or heat olive oil). Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, broth and ginger. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer, cover, and simmer until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Puree soup until smooth, either using an immersion blender or by transferring soup to a blender and then returning it to the pot.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup, with a drizzle of coconut milk, if desired.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!