Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
A creamy cheese sauce coats every bite of this Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese. This mac and cheese recipe is a family favorite that we’ve been making for years!
Who out there could use some comfort food? Yeah, me too.
Between parent-teacher conferences at work, sick kids at home, and almost losing my voice, I’m ready to put my feet up and relax. Which means we need easy, comforting dinners that make everybody happy.
Yes, this Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese has lots of cheese, which you might not consider the healthiest food. Me? I see cheese as protein. And protein is good for us. 🙂
I make this mac and cheese with whole wheat pasta for added fiber and nutrition. And it’s completely homemade, rather than from a box. Real food, made at home… this one’s a keeper.
So much so that we’ve been making this Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese recipe for years. It was one of the first recipes that I posted on this site, back in 2010. The fact that we’ve been making it on a regular basis ever since proves just how good it is!
I wanted to re-share the recipe because it’s one of our favorite go-to meals when we need a quick and easy dinner. What do you think? Would a bowl of this cheesy whole grain pasta go over well with your family? I’m guessing yes.
This recipe makes just a little bit more than my family can eat in one dinner, which is fine by me because then I can eat the leftovers for lunch the next day. 😉
My easy roasted broccoli is our favorite side dish to serve with this mac and cheese. Let a little of the cheesy sauce get on the broccoli… so good! Or try my baked broccoli mac and cheese recipe, another family favorite.
If you’re craving cheesy pasta with ground beef and marinara sauce, you’ll love my macaroni baked pasta!
More Mac and Cheese Recipes
Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese
- 12 ounces whole wheat pasta, I used rotini
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, or use 2/3 cup panko crumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk, low fat or whole
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions for al dente. Drain the pasta and place it back into the cooking pot.
- Meanwhile, tear bread into large pieces and place in food processor. Pulse a few times to form small crumbs. Place the breadcrumbs in a bowl. (Alternatively, you may use 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs.)
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, and stir 1 tablespoon of it into the breadcrumbs. Whisk the flour into the remaining melted butter over medium heat. Continue whisking for 1 minute so that the flour taste cooks off a bit. Gradually whisk in the milk. Continue cooking, whisking often, until the mixture is brought to a boil and begins to thicken, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Immediately stir the grated cheddar into the milk mixture until it evenly melts. Stir the cheese mixture into the pasta. Pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the top of the pasta with the breadcrumbs. Bake 15-20 minutes, until hot and bubbly and lightly browned on top. Enjoy!
Will have to try this Mac and Cheese recipe soon!
Thanks for posting.
Whole wheat pasta teamed with cheddar is a great idea!
Love this super quick and easy recipe, and the whole wheat makes me feel better about enjoying this for dinner! Wish I had a bowl right now 😀
Thanks, Rachel! Easy recipes are the best!
This macaroni and cheese looks delicious! I love the the whole wheat pasta- makes mac and cheese a little less of a guilty pleasure 🙂
Thank you, Medha! Whole wheat pasta is such an easy healthy swap to make!
We tried your salmon recipe and it was out of this world ..
Would love to try this recipe.. just wondering if we can use unsweetened almond milk ?
I’m so glad you enjoyed the salmon! I haven’t made this mac and cheese with almond milk, but I think it would work well as a substitute for the dairy milk. If you try it let me know how it turns out. 🙂