Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese
A creamy cheese sauce coats every bite of this Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese. This mac and cheese recipe is a family favorite that we’ve been making for years!
Who out there could use some comfort food? Yeah, me too.
Between parent-teacher conferences at work, sick kids at home, and almost losing my voice, I’m ready to put my feet up and relax. Which means we need easy, comforting dinners that make everybody happy.
Yes, this Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese has lots of cheese, which you might not consider the healthiest food. Me? I see cheese as protein. And protein is good for us. 🙂
I make this mac and cheese with whole wheat pasta for added fiber and nutrition. And it’s completely homemade, rather than from a box. Real food, made at home… this one’s a keeper.
So much so that we’ve been making this Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese recipe for years. It was one of the first recipes that I posted on this site, back in 2010. The fact that we’ve been making it on a regular basis ever since proves just how good it is!
I wanted to re-share the recipe because it’s one of our favorite go-to meals when we need a quick and easy dinner. What do you think? Would a bowl of this cheesy whole grain pasta go over well with your family? I’m guessing yes.
This recipe makes just a little bit more than my family can eat in one dinner, which is fine by me because then I can eat the leftovers for lunch the next day. 😉
My easy roasted broccoli is our favorite side dish to serve with this mac and cheese. Let a little of the cheesy sauce get on the broccoli… so good!
- 12 ounces whole wheat rotini pasta
- 2 slices whole wheat bread (or use ⅔ cup panko crumbs)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 8 ounces (2 cups) grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions for al dente. Drain the pasta and place it back into the cooking pot.
- Meanwhile, tear bread into large pieces and place in food processor. Pulse a few times to form small crumbs. Place the breadcrumbs in a bowl. (Alternatively, you may use ⅔ cup panko breadcrumbs.)
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, and stir 1 tablespoon of it into the breadcrumbs. Whisk the flour into the remaining melted butter over medium heat. Continue whisking for 1 minute so that the flour taste cooks off a bit. Gradually whisk in the milk. Continue cooking, whisking often, until the mixture is brought to a boil and begins to thicken, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Immediately stir the grated cheddar into the milk mixture until it evenly melts. Stir the cheese mixture into the pasta. Pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the top of the pasta with the breadcrumbs. Bake 15-20 minutes, until hot and bubbly and lightly browned on top. Enjoy!
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!