This weekend we celebrated William’s 1st birthday with a barbecue at our house, and I made this pasta salad to go along with our burgers and other side dishes. Pasta salad is always a hit with my family, and this time I wanted to try something new. Of course, I waited until Friday night to search for a recipe, but I found this one right away and knew it would be perfect. (I also waited until Friday night to decide on a birthday cake recipe, and that one turned out to be a great find as well. I’ll be sharing it soon, along with some pictures from the party!) 🙂
Aside from being addictively yummy, pasta salad is a great entertaining dish because it’s easy to make, and it’s best made the night before, freeing you up to do other things on party day. This Greek pasta salad is full of flavor, with bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, kalamata olives, and feta cheese all tossed in a Greek dressing. A number of our party guests requested the recipe, and I think it’s my new favorite pasta salad. I’m pretty confident that this is going to be my go-to pasta salad recipe from now on.
Greek Pasta Salad
Makes 10-12 side dish servings
For the Dressing:
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
For the Salad:
- 1 lb. dried rotini pasta
- 1 large cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup Kalamata olives, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water according to package directions for al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside to cool completely.
- In a Mason jar or other sealable container, combine all of the dressing ingredients. Shake well to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked, cooled pasta, cucumber, bell peppers, tomatoes, green onions, and olives.
- Reserve ½ cup of the dressing in the refrigerator. Toss the pasta salad with the rest of the dressing until evenly coated. Cover and chill overnight.
- Right before serving, add in the feta and some of the reserved dressing, to taste, tossing to mix well. Season with additional pepper, to taste, if needed.
Source: Adapted from My Baking Addiction.