Instant Pot Chicken and Mushrooms
This Instant Pot Chicken and Mushrooms is a quick and easy Instant Pot recipe, perfect for weeknight dinners. This delicious one pot meal has flavorful chicken thighs, mushrooms and orzo pasta.
Instant Pot meals are a convenient way to get dinner on your table, especially when everything cooks together and you end up with a one pot meal that’s ready to serve. My Instant Pot Chicken and Rice, Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff and Instant Pot Pasta with Sausage are other favorite Instant Pot meals.
This Instant Pot chicken and mushrooms is adapted from my crockpot chicken and mushrooms recipe, a reader favorite! A couple of readers asked if that recipe could be adapted for the Instant Pot. I started recipe testing and I am so happy with the way this Instant Pot version turned out.
This recipe has a relatively short ingredient list and it takes just 30 minutes to make, start to finish. It has loads of flavor from onion, garlic and mushrooms, plus dried herbs and seasonings. Chicken thighs are my favorite in this recipe because they are juicy and flavorful. If you’re looking for a basic pressure cooker chicken thighs recipe, try this Instant Pot chicken thighs recipe.
You can serve your Instant Pot mushroom chicken as a complete meal, since it has protein, veggies and pasta. Or, round out the meal with a side salad, some roasted green beans or slices of crusty bread.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken and Mushrooms
To make these Instant Pot chicken thighs with mushrooms and orzo pasta, you’ll start by browning your chicken thighs. You can brown the chicken right in the Instant Pot using sauté mode.
Once the chicken is browned, remove it from the pot and add the chopped onion and mushrooms to the pot. Once these vegetables have softened a bit, you’ll sauté the garlic and then press Cancel to turn off the Instant Pot.
Add the seasonings and chicken broth to the pot, scraping up any browned bits that may be stuck to the bottom of the pot. Stir in the orzo and then place the chicken on top of everything else.
You’ll pressure cook everything together for just 4 minutes on high pressure, followed by a quick release. Then dinner is ready! This dish is especially delicious with some grated Parmesan cheese on top.
Can you substitute rice for the orzo?
I haven’t tested this recipe with rice, but it may work well with long grain white rice. I recommend reducing the amount of chicken broth to 1 1/4 cups, and allow the pot to naturally release for 10 to 15 minutes after the cook time ends. Brown rice will not work in this recipe, as the cook time for brown rice is much longer.
Can you leave out the orzo?
If you wish to make this without the orzo for a gluten-free meal, you should reduce the amount of chicken broth to 1 cup. There will be some liquid left after pressure cooking. You can thicken this using a cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon cornstarch combined with 1 tablespoon water) and simmering on sauté mode to make a simple gravy.
What kind of mushrooms are best in this recipe?
I prefer to use crimini mushrooms, which are baby portobellos. You can also use white button mushrooms if you prefer.
Can you use bone-in chicken thighs? Can you make this with boneless skinless chicken breasts?
You can use bone-in chicken thighs in this recipe. I would recommend browning them for an extra minute or two per side, because bone-in thighs take a bit longer to cook through.
To make this recipe with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces, brown it for about 4 minutes total (step 2 of the recipe) and then continue with the recipe as written.
Instant Pot Chicken and Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs about 6 thighs
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms sliced (see note)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dried orzo pasta
- chopped fresh parsley and/or grated Parmesan cheese optional, for serving
- Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot and heat on saute mode until hot. Sprinkle the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Put the chicken thighs in the hot Instant Pot, in a single layer (work in batches if needed). Brown the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes per side and then remove it to a clean plate.
- Add the onion and mushrooms to the Instant Pot. Saute until they start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic to the pot and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Press Cancel to turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the dried oregano, garlic powder, paprika, ¼ teaspoon salt and chicken broth to the pot. Stir, scraping up any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in the orzo. Place the chicken thighs on top of everything else and close the Instant Pot lid. Turn the steam release valve to the sealing position.
- Set the cook time to 4 minutes at high pressure. The Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to reach pressure and then the cook time will start counting down. When the cook time ends, quick release the pressure by carefully turning the steam release valve to the venting position using the handle of a long spoon.
- Once all of the steam has escaped and the pin drops down, open the Instant Pot lid. Check that the chicken has cooked through to at least 165° F using an instant read thermometer. Serve, sprinkled with fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- If you really love mushrooms, you can increase the amount of mushrooms to 12 to 16 ounces.
- You can use bone-in chicken thighs in this recipe. I would recommend browning them for an extra minute or two per side, because bone-in thighs take a bit longer to cook through.
- To make this recipe with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces, brown it for about 4 minutes total (step 2 of the recipe) and then continue with the recipe as written.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!