Baked Zucchini “Meatballs”
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
These healthy Zucchini “Meatballs” are delicious served with marinara sauce and pasta. You’ll love this meatless 30 minute meal!
If you’re looking for a meatless “meatball” recipe, you’ve come to the right place! These zucchini meatballs are packed with zucchini, cheese and seasonings. They make a crowd-pleasing appetizer with marinara sauce for dipping. They’re also delicious served with pasta for dinner.
It took me a few tries to get these zucchini balls just right, and I’m happy to say that I finally got the perfect balance of ingredients. I hope you’ll love them as much as we do!
I used a combination of mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses in this recipe. The cheese (along with an egg and panko breadcrumbs) helps to hold the meatballs together. It also makes these zucchini meatballs more appealing to little mouths. Cheese makes everything better, doesn’t it?
Watch how easy it is to make these Zucchini “Meatballs” (and then read my helpful tips below):
To make these zucchini meatballs a 30 minute dinner, first start some water boiling for your pasta. Then prep your “meatballs” and bake them in the oven. While the meatballs bake, cook your pasta and heat up a jar of your favorite marinara. Then dinner is served!
I’m going to give you fair warning – it’s way too easy to eat these zucchini meatballs straight from the pan. Especially if you have a little bowl of marinara nearby for dipping. 😉
Tips for making these zucchini meatballs:
- I use a box grater to grate the zucchini. Sometimes I run a knife through the grated zucchini a few times to cut any large zucchini strands smaller (this makes the meatballs a little more kid-friendly).
- Rather than trying to roll the zucchini mixture into balls, I find that gently squeezing it into a ball shape with my hands works best. (See the recipe video above for a visual.)
- Lining the pan with parchment paper keeps the zucchini meatballs from sticking to the pan.
- 2 cups packed grated zucchini about 2 large zucchini
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- marinara sauce and whole wheat pasta for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F with a rack in the upper third of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the grated zucchini in a clean kitchen towel. Wrap up and squeeze out the excess moisture over a bowl or sink.
- Transfer zucchini to a large bowl. Add the panko breadcrumbs, mozzarella, Parmesan, eggs, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir with a fork until well combined. Using your hands, shape the mixture into 1 ½-inch balls and place on the parchment-lined baking sheet. (Rather than rolling, I find that gently squeezing the mixture into a ball shape works best.)
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, until lightly golden on top. Serve with marinara sauce and whole wheat pasta, if desired.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!