Golden Winter Soup
I have been making this soup since 2008! As soon as butternut squash come into season, this is one of the first meals that I cannot wait to make. A delicious combination of butternut squash, potato, and leeks, Golden Winter Soup is hearty with a nice balance of flavors.
Once you prep the squash, potatoes, and leeks, which takes maybe 20 minutes or so, the soup comes together really easily. This soup is delicious served with Gruyere toasts, which add a salty note to balance the slightly sweet, slightly savory soup. This time, I served it with the Cloverleaf Rolls that you see pictured in the photos.
Golden Winter Soup is definitely a favorite in our family, and I hope it will become one of yours, too.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 5 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1½ pounds)
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled russet potato (about 12 ounces)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups sliced leek (about 2 medium)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Freshly ground black pepper and/or chopped chives, for serving
- 16 baguette slices
- 3 ounces Gruyere cheese, sliced or shredded
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add squash, potato, salt, and pepper to pan; saute 3 minutes. Add leek; saute 1 minute. Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potato is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. (Alternatively, the soup may be pureed in batches in a blender.)
- Stir in half-and-half. Cover and keep warm.
- To make the Gruyere toasts, preheat broiler. Arrange baguette slices in a single layer on a baking sheet; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil bread slices 2 minutes or until golden.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls; top each serving with chives and freshly ground black pepper, if desired. Serve with Gruyere toasts.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!