Healthy Gingerbread Pancakes
These Healthy Gingerbread Pancakes are so good that you’ll want to make them all year long! Made with white whole wheat flour, gingerbread spices and molasses, these fluffy gingerbread pancakes are my kids’ favorite!
I had planned to share this recipe with you next week, but decided at the last minute that you need it sooner than that! You know, just in case you need some gingerbread pancakes for breakfast this weekend. 😉
The first time I made these, Julia (my 8-year-old) said, “These are the best! I might like them as good as dessert.” Never mind that she put the word “might” in there… I’d happily eat a plate of these Healthy Gingerbread Pancakes with melted butter and maple syrup for dessert.
To make these fluffy gingerbread pancakes, I started with my all-time favorite pancake recipe. The one that I literally make every other weekend. The one that so many of you have made and then let me know that you love the recipe as much as we do. I adapted that favorite pancake recipe by adding molasses and gingerbread spices and the result was just as delicious as I hoped it would be!
When I make pancake batter, the first thing I do is melt the butter in a small dish in the microwave. Then it can cool slightly while I mix up the rest of the ingredients. Adding hot melted butter isn’t a good idea because it can start to scramble the eggs. I always whisk in my warm butter slowly because that increases the temperature of the wet mixture gradually and prevents any egg-scrambling.
We’re only using 2 tablespoons of butter in this recipe. Unsweetened applesauce is my secret ingredient that takes the place of the rest of the butter.
I used my homemade gingerbread spice mix in this gingerbread pancake recipe. It takes just 5 ingredients – cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and cardamom. You can mix up a batch in no time. I was able to make both the gingerbread spice and this pancake batter in just 10 minutes. I recommend making a double batch of gingerbread spice mix and saving the rest for next time!
You’ll need two mixing bowls to make these healthy gingerbread pancakes. In a medium-sized bowl, you’ll whisk together the dry ingredients. Then, in a large bowl, you’ll use the same whisk to mix together the wet ingredients until well combined. Finally, pour the dry ingredients into the wet and whisk them together until just combined.
You’ll notice that the batter for these pancakes is kind of thick. That’s what you want – a thick pancake batter will yield thick, fluffy pancakes. And fluffy pancakes are the best kind!
If you love this Healthy Gingerbread Pancake Recipe, you might also like:
- Our Favorite Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
- Easy Microwave Gingerbread Hot Cocoa
- Gingerbread Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Gingerbread Coffee Cake
I forgot how many favorite gingerbread recipes I have! Now I’m off to bake some gingerbread oatmeal cups and drink gingerbread coffee. 😉
Healthy Gingerbread Pancakes
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour*
- 1 tablespoon gingerbread spice mix
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 1/4 cups milk whole milk is best in this recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the white whole wheat flour, gingerbread spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, applesauce, molasses, and milk. Slowly whisk in the melted butter.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet. Whisk until just combined. Let batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet or electric griddle over medium heat. Scoop a scant ¼ cup (about 3 tablespoons) of batter for each pancake. Let cook on the first side for 2-3 minutes, until bubbles begin to form and the bottom is lightly browned. Flip pancakes and cook for about 2 minutes on the second side, until cooked through.
- Serve pancakes immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree (F) oven while you cook the rest of the pancakes.
- You may freeze extra pancakes for later. Cool completely and store airtight in a zip-top bag.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!