Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies
Packed with peanut butter, flaxseed and oats, these Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies will give you an energy boost while satisfying your cookie craving. They are perfect for after school snacks for the kids, too!
These healthier cookies satisfy my afternoon craving for something sweet. Packed with oats, flaxseed, and peanut butter, you could call these healthier peanut butter oatmeal cookies, too.
These cookies are made from wholesome ingredients. They are sweetened with honey and applesauce, rather than refined sugars. Whole grain oats and white whole wheat flour add fiber. Peanut butter adds filling protein to these cookies. Each healthy peanut butter cookie has 3 grams of protein and 2 grams of fiber.
I added a few lower sugar dark chocolate chips because, you know, chocolate + peanut butter = amazingness. But you could leave out the chocolate and these would still be delicious.
Easy to Prepare
I love how easy these cookies are to prepare. No mixer is required, just two bowls and a few minutes of your time. I know myself, and I’m bound to eat a cookie many afternoons just because I’m craving one. With these peanut butter cookies, I can satisfy my craving in a healthier way.
The recipe makes 36 cookies so with a little self-control, there are plenty to save in the freezer.
Baking Tips for Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies
- Be sure to use old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick oats) for cookies with the best texture.
- If you don’t have white whole wheat flour, regular whole wheat flour or all purpose flour may be used.
- You can substitute pure maple syrup for the honey.
- Try not to over-bake the cookies. Take them out of the oven when they are just set. This way, your cookies will be soft and chewy, not crispy.
More Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes:
- Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips coarsely chopped, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, flaxseed, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, melt the butter. Stir in the peanut butter, and then the applesauce, honey, egg, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls and place on the prepared baking sheets. Use your fingers to gently flatten each cookie, as they won't flatten on their own during baking.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, until set and barely golden. (If baking more than one pan at a time, be sure to rotate the pans halfway through the baking time.) Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!