Skinny Banana Almond Butter Muffins
A whole grain muffin that not only tastes amazing (hello dark chocolate chips!), but also is packed with good-for-you ingredients like flaxseed and almond butter. Bake up a batch of these Skinny Banana Almond Butter Muffins today!
Muffins. Almond butter. Dark chocolate. These are three of my very favorite things. Today we’re combining them into a skinny muffin that’s perfectly snackable. These Skinny Banana Almond Butter Muffins are a new favorite in my house and I think they will be in yours too!
I made these Skinny Banana Almond Butter Muffins with almond butter because I wanted Julia to eat them and she won’t touch anything made with peanut butter. Almond butter, however, she likes so long as it’s in a smoothie or baked good. I always keep almond butter in my kitchen and I enjoy its milder flavor when I want to sneak in some extra protein without adding peanut butter flavor. I love peanut butter and can eat it in multiple times a day, but unfortunately my daughter feels differently! If you can’t get enough of peanut butter, you can substitute it for the almond butter in these muffins.
You know how sometimes you eat a muffin and then you’re starving 20 minutes later? That’s what happens when said muffin is full of refined flours and sugars. These Skinny Banana Almond Butter Muffins, however, will leave you feeling satisfied. They are 100% whole-wheat (white whole-wheat flour is working its magic again). We’ve also got flaxseed in the mix, and, of course, protein-packed almond butter.
I’ve sweetened these muffins with honey and a touch of brown sugar. So no, they aren’t completely free of refined sugars, but I love the hint of caramel flavor that brown sugar brings to baked goods. If you prefer, you can substitute extra honey for the brown sugar.
I’m a firm believer that we need to treat ourselves to something sweet every day. But that treat doesn’t have to leave us feeling like we’ve over-indulged. A healthier muffin studded with dark chocolate chips is a delicious way to treat yourself while still fueling your body right. The chocolate chips are little bursts of sweetness throughout these whole grain muffins.
These Skinny Banana Almond Butter Muffins bake up beautifully with perfectly domed tops. I like to press a few extra chocolate chips into the tops of the muffins before baking for the most mouthwatering-looking muffins. My favorite time to enjoy one of these muffins is mid-morning, with a cup of coffee or tea. When I’m lucky enough to get a few moments of quiet at that time, that is. What’s your healthy treat of choice when you have a minute for yourself?
- 1 ½ cups white whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium bananas)
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup (4 tbsp.) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 14 muffin tin wells with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together white whole-wheat flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, mashed banana, milk, almond butter, melted butter, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until barely combined (do not over-mix). Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each well almost to the top. Bake for 14-16 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!