Taco Chicken and Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls
Need some easy, healthy dinner inspiration? I’ve got you covered with these Taco Chicken and Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls!
Do you have a recipe that you make time and again, because you know it’s always going to be a hit with your family? For me, that recipe is this 3-Ingredient Slow Cooker Taco Chicken recipe. It is the easiest dinner, and it always turns out delicious. Whenever I’m in doubt of what to make for dinner, that’s my go-to.
If we make the full recipe, we always have leftover taco chicken. Sometimes we make tacos for a second night, but sometimes we want something different for dinner the next day. This past week, I decided to use our leftover taco chicken in these easy burrito bowls. Best decision ever! Combined with roasted sweet potatoes, brown rice, avocado and salsa, the slow cooker taco chicken makes a whole new healthy meal.
I love that these burrito bowls have all of the parts of a balanced meal in one bowl. Vegetables, protein and whole grains – they’re all here. Between the chicken, brown rice, sweet potatoes and avocado this meal is full of protein and fiber, so you won’t be hungry again right away. If you cook enough rice and sweet potatoes, you can pack up the leftovers for lunch the next day. Just wait to add the avocado right before serving.
It’s a busy time of year, so while your focus is likely on holiday preparations, I thought I’d do what I can to help by giving you some ideas for easy dinners. So here’s your meal plan. 1. Make my 3-ingredient slow cooker taco chicken. 2. Use the leftovers to make these easy taco chicken and sweet potato burrito bowls the next day. 3. Add this slow cooker apple crisp recipe to your holiday dessert menu. You’re welcome! 😉
These chicken and sweet potato burrito bowls are easy to customize:
- You can substitute black beans for the chicken to make this recipe vegetarian.
- You can use quinoa instead of rice for an extra boost of protein.
- Add a little lime crema to your burrito bowl by combining plain Greek yogurt and lime juice.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1⅓ cups chopped cooked taco chicken*
- 1 large avocado
- salsa, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cook rice according to package directions (or follow this easy method for cooking long grain brown rice).
- Peel sweet potatoes and chop into ½-inch cubes. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast sweet potatoes in the preheated oven until tender: check on them after 18 minutes, and then every 3-5 minutes after that until they are done. Mine took about 24 minutes to cook. (Cooking time will vary based on the size of your potato pieces.)
- Once the rice and sweet potatoes are done, assemble the burrito bowls: Divide rice between four bowls. Top with cooked taco chicken (warm as desired), sweet potatoes and slices of avocado. Serve with salsa. Enjoy!
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!