Chicken and Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
Need some easy, healthy dinner inspiration? I’ve got you covered with these Taco Chicken and Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls!
Do you have a recipe that you make time and again, because you know it’s always going to be a hit with your family? For me, that recipe is chicken tacos, either these Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos or my easy Instant Pot Chicken Tacos recipe. It is the easiest dinner, and it always turns out delicious. Whenever I’m in doubt of what to make for dinner, that’s my go-to.
If we make the full recipe, we always have leftover taco chicken. Sometimes we make tacos for a second night, but sometimes we want something different for dinner the next day. This past week, I decided to use our leftover taco chicken in these easy burrito bowls. Best decision ever! Combined with roasted sweet potatoes, brown rice, avocado and salsa, the slow cooker taco chicken makes a whole new healthy meal.
If you have time, a batch of Instant Pot black beans goes really well with these burrito bowls, too.
I love that these burrito bowls have all of the parts of a balanced meal in one bowl. Vegetables, protein and whole grains – they’re all here. Between the chicken, brown rice, sweet potatoes and avocado this meal is full of protein and fiber, so you won’t be hungry again right away. If you cook enough rice and sweet potatoes, you can pack up the leftovers for lunch the next day. Just wait to add the avocado right before serving.
I’m all about easy dinners. So here’s your meal plan. 1. Make my crockpot taco chicken. 2. Use the leftovers to make these easy taco chicken and sweet potato burrito bowls the next day. Enjoy!
These chicken and sweet potato burrito bowls are easy to customize:
- You can substitute black beans for the chicken to make this recipe vegetarian.
- You can use quinoa instead of rice for an extra boost of protein.
- Add a little lime crema to your burrito bowl by combining plain Greek yogurt and lime juice.
If your family loves Mexican-inspired meals as much as mine, I know you’ll also love our easy slow cooker taco soup recipe (dump and go!) and this one-pot Mexican quinoa and sweet potato skillet.
Chicken and Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/3 cups chopped cooked taco chicken*
- 1 large avocado
- salsa, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cook rice according to package directions (or follow my easy method for cooking perfect brown rice).
- Peel sweet potatoes and chop into ½-inch cubes. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast sweet potatoes in the preheated oven until tender: check on them after 18 minutes, and then every 3-5 minutes after that until they are done. Mine took about 24 minutes to cook. (Cooking time will vary based on the size of your potato pieces.)
- Once the rice and sweet potatoes are done, assemble the burrito bowls: Divide rice between four bowls. Top with cooked taco chicken (warm as desired), sweet potatoes and slices of avocado. Serve with salsa. Enjoy!
I have a few meals that I make over and over again…it just seems to hit the spot and my husband and I can never get enough of it! I have a feeling your taco soup and these burrito bowls would fall on that list. I love how easy this is, Kristine! And I love making bowls, too…especially for leftovers. This looks incredible!
This is weeknight dinner perfection. AND it’s something that’s healthy that I actually want to eat!? I’m sold. Can’t wait try these!
I hope you enjoy this, Karly! It’s quickly become a favorite in my family. 🙂
Gorgeous meal! I’m loving the rice on the side as well. Thank you for sharing this. I’m definitely going to cook this for my wife and kids.
looks like white rice in the picture?
It does look like white rice in the photo, but it is brown rice. You can use whatever type of rice you prefer. 🙂
I just signed up for your website recipes. Thank you. I made the Taco Chicken and Sweet Potato/ Rice Bowl last night….it was absolutely delicious! Will definitely make again. And I did what you do and doubled my Taco Chicken recipe in crock pot so now I have enough for chicken tacos! This is terrific…I’m always looking for healthy recipes that are easy to make as well as great tasting.
Hi Linda, I’m so happy that you enjoyed this recipe. The taco chicken is one of my favorites. Thank you for subscribing to my recipe emails!