Easy Skillet Mexican Quinoa
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
This Easy Skillet Mexican Quinoa is a one pot meal that you can have on your table in 30 minutes! Black beans add even more protein to this vegetarian dinner.
I first made this healthy and delicious recipe for Cinco de Mayo. I took this Quinoa and Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole, one of my all-time most popular recipes, and adapted it for the stovetop to create this Mexican Quinoa skillet. I kept the flavors and key ingredients in the casserole, but cooked everything in a skillet on the stove to speed things up. Preparing this dish in a skillet also creates less dishes, which is a major plus.
This Mexican Quinoa has a mildly spicy enchilada-style sauce, onion, black beans, cilantro, and cheese. And, of course, plenty of quinoa and sweet potatoes!
We like to serve this Easy Mexican Quinoa either wrapped in whole grain tortillas or with tortilla chips for scooping. The leftovers are delicious for lunch the next day.
Why you’ll love this Skillet Mexican Quinoa :
- This meal is meatless, yet still full of protein thanks to the quinoa and black beans. Quinoa is also naturally gluten-free and a good source of fiber and other nutrients.
- Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of many nutrients, including Vitamins A and C, magnesium, potassium, and fiber.
- It’s ready in 30 minutes!
- You will only have one pan to wash after making dinner. Enough said.
Mexican Quinoa and Sweet Potato Skillet
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese, divided
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- tortilla chips or whole grain tortillas, for serving
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into ½-inch cubes.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add the sweet potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion. Add the onion to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and salt and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, water, quinoa, and black beans. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the quinoa has absorbed most of the liquid, about 15 minutes.
- Stir to make sure everything is evenly distributed. Remove from the heat and stir in ½ cup of the cheese and ¼ cup of the cilantro. Sprinkle the remaining cheese and cilantro over the top. Serve with tortilla chips or wrap in tortillas, if desired.
You might also like:
More Quick & Easy Dinner Inspiration!