Turkey Taco Soup
The best taco soup made with simple ingredients, including ground turkey (or beef) and black beans. This easy taco soup recipe is quick to make on a weeknight. Pile on your favorite taco soup toppings and enjoy!
This healthy taco soup is filled with your favorite taco flavors, but in soup form. Seasoned meat, tomatoes, beans and corn are simmered in a flavorful broth. Serve it with your favorite toppings and a few tortilla chips on the side.
This turkey taco soup is like your favorite turkey chili combined with the best taco flavors. It is a healthy family dinner that both kids and adults will enjoy.
You will love that this turkey taco soup is a one pot recipe that you can make in 30 minutes on a weeknight. It’s a quick and easy dinner to cook at the end of a long day.
I like to make this soup with lean ground turkey. You can also use ground beef, leftover shredded chicken, or leftover turkey.
For a vegetarian taco soup, you can leave out the meat from this recipe. This hearty soup is made with two kinds of beans so it has plenty of protein to keep you full.
If you’re looking for a make ahead crockpot taco soup recipe, try my slow cooker chicken taco soup.
How to make taco soup
Making this taco soup is simple. You will start by sautéing some onion and chopped bell pepper in olive oil in a large pot.
Next you will add the ground turkey (or beef) and cook it until it is browned. Break the meat into small pieces using a spoon.
While the meat is browning, prepare the rest of your ingredients. Drain and rinse the beans and corn. You will be adding mashed pinto beans to the soup to help thicken it. The beans don’t need to be perfectly mashed or smooth. I use a potato masher and mash them by hand.
Once the meat is browned, stir in some taco seasoning, salt and pepper. My homemade taco seasoning recipe is easy to make with just a few pantry ingredients.
Finally, you will add crushed tomatoes, diced green chiles, beans, corn and broth. Simmer the soup for about 15 minutes, just long enough to let the flavors develop and meld together.
Some topping suggestions for your taco soup are crumbled tortilla chips, shredded cheese, avocado, fresh cilantro and sour cream or plain Greek yogurt. I like to serve extra tortilla chips on the side for scooping.
Tips for making this taco soup recipe
- You can make this taco soup ahead of time and reheat it in your crockpot. I’ve served it at parties and it’s always a hit!
- Make the soup with ground turkey, beef or leftover shredded chicken. Or omit the meat for a vegetarian soup.
- Keep a batch of homemade taco seasoning on hand for making soups and tacos. It is so much better than store-bought!
Turkey Taco Soup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or lean ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning this taco seasoning recipe or store-bought
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can pinto beans rinsed, drained and mashed
- 15 ounce can corn drained
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- crumbled tortilla chips
- shredded cheese
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- fresh cilantro
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the ground turkey, season with salt and pepper, and cook until browned and cooked through, breaking it up into small pieces.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, followed by the crushed tomatoes, diced green chiles, black beans, mashed pinto beans, corn, and broth.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Serve with toppings as desired.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!