With the arrival of cooler weather I have been craving soup. Lately I’ve also been wanting a hot meal for lunch, as opposed to my usual sandwich and fruit. So today I decided to make some Broccoli Cheddar Soup for us. I also happened to have a few Honey Yeast Rolls in my freezer. The homemade rolls and soup were just right for a satisfying lunch on a fall day. And the best part is we now have leftover soup to enjoy for lunch the next few days.
One year ago: Autumn Apple and Spinach Salad
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Makes 6-8 servings
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, diced small
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup half n half
- Salt and pepper
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add onion and cook 3-5 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, until fragrant. Add broccoli, potatoes, and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes, until broccoli and potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. (Alternatively, you can transfer the soup in batches to a blender or food processor to puree.)
- Stir in half n half and season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat over low heat, if necessary.
Recipe is a Kristine’s Kitchen original.