Salad makes it onto our dinner table so often, it’s nice to have a variety of recipes to make things a bit more interesting. This spinach salad has buttered almonds, apple slices, and crumbled feta- plenty of flavor to make eating salad seem like a treat.
If you’re short on time (or want to make the salad even healthier), you can skip making the buttered almonds and just use toasted almonds instead. As is, this salad is great as a side dish. You can easily make it into a main dish salad by adding some grilled chicken for protein.
One year ago: Pan Roasted Chicken Breasts with Potatoes
Harvest Apple and Spinach Salad
Makes 4 servings
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup finely minced sweet onion
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. white wine or champagne vinegar
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- Pinch of paprika
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the almonds:
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 tbsp. sugar
For the salad:
- 10 oz. baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 2 medium apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- To make the salad dressing, combine the onion, vinegars, sesame seeds, paprika, and sugar in a small bowl or jar. Whisk to combine. Whisk in the olive oil in a slow, steady stream until well emulsified. Refrigerate until ready to use. (If the dressing has separated, whisk or shake to blend again.
- To make the buttered almonds, melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the almonds and cook, stirring occasionally, until toasted and lightly browned. Stir in the sugar and cook just until melted and well incorporated. Set aside to cool.
- Plate portions of the baby spinach leaves. Top with apple slices, crumbled feta, and almonds. Drizzle with the dressing and serve immediately.