Honey Mustard Dressing
This Honey Mustard Dressing has the best bright and tangy flavor! It is so easy to make with just four ingredients. Making a homemade salad dressing is a simple way to make your favorite salads taste even better!
I love making homemade salad dressings because they taste so much better than store bought dressing. Some of our favorite healthy salad dressings include this simple Vinaigrette, Balsamic Vinaigrette and this honey mustard dressing.
When you make salad dressing from scratch, it’s often healthier because you can control the ingredients and you’ll know exactly what’s in your dressing. You can adjust this honey mustard dressing recipe to your tastes, making it a little tangier or sweeter until it’s just how you like it.
There’s no better way to elevate the flavor of a crisp salad than with a homemade dressing. We love drizzling this honey mustard dressing on a simple Green Salad. It’s also amazing with this flavor-packed Salmon Salad.
Honey Mustard Dressing Ingredients
- Olive Oil: I prefer to use extra virgin olive oil because the flavor of the olive oil will impact the flavor of the dressing.
- Honey: The honey balances out the tartness and acidity of the vinegar.
- Dijon Mustard: Dijon mustard brings a delicious sharp and tangy flavor to this dressing. I much prefer using Dijon mustard over yellow mustard because of its more complex flavor profile.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is my favorite vinegar to use in homemade salad dressings because of its flavor.
- Salt and Pepper: I recommend using Kosher salt or fine sea salt for the best flavor.
Find the full printable recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions below.
How to Make Honey Mustard Dressing
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl or a mason jar with a lid.
- Whisk (or shake in a jar with a lid) until everything is well combined.
- Taste the dressing and adjust the ingredient amounts as needed. If you want it sweeter, add more honey. If you want it tangier, add more apple cider vinegar or Dijon. If it’s too tangy, add a bit more olive oil. You can also add more salt and pepper, to taste.
You can use this salad dressing immediately after making it, or store it in the refrigerator to use later in the week. Store homemade honey mustard dressing in an airtight container, such as a mason jar with a lid, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. The ingredients may separate over time. Whisk or shake the dressing to recombine the ingredients before using.
- You can substitute pure maple syrup for the honey. This will alter the flavor of the dressing, as the maple flavor will come through.
- White wine vinegar is a good alternative for the apple cider vinegar.
- To add garlic, mince half of a garlic clove (or more if you really love garlic). Then sprinkle a pinch of salt over the minced garlic and smash the garlic and salt together to make a paste consistency. Add this to the salad dressing.
This honey mustard dressing pairs well with these healthy salad recipes:
- Kale Avocado Salad
- Massaged Kale Salad
- Spinach Salad with Bacon and Eggs
- Spinach Salad with Quinoa
- Quinoa Kale Salad
- Barley Salad
More Salad Dressing Recipes
Honey Mustard Dressing
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 ½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon Kosher salt or fine sea salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl or jar with a lid. Whisk or shake until well combined. Taste and adjust ingredients as needed: more apple cider vinegar or Dijon if you want it tangier, more honey if you want it sweeter, more olive oil if it's too tangy, additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Dressing can be used immediately or stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Whisk or shake to recombine dressing before using.