This Creamy, Lemony Pasta with Chicken and Asparagus is an easy, one-pot meal with light and bright flavors for Spring.
Are you tired of hearing about the one-pot meal yet? Never, you say? I thought so. The quick and easy meal will never go out of style, in my house at least! I’ll never get tired of meals that dirty less pots and pans either. I love to cook, but washing dishes? Not so much.
Another perk to one-pot cooking is that, since everything cooks together in one pot, the flavors have plenty of time to meld together. Take this Creamy, Lemony Pasta with Chicken and Asparagus, for example. The pasta cooks in the same skillet where you browned the chicken. And the chicken continues to cook with the pasta, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes in a mixture of chicken broth and water. What does this all mean? TONS of flavor mixin’ is happening in this dish. Oh yeah.
Once it’s all cooked through, you’ll finish the dish off with some freshly grated Parmesan, lemon zest, and a touch of cream. Give it all a good stir and everything sort of melts together and absorbs the creamy sauce. The bright lemon is a perfect complement to the creamy pasta and fresh asparagus.
Asparagus is one of my favorite Spring-time vegetables, and it pairs really well with the lemon in this Creamy, Lemony Pasta with Chicken and Asparagus. If asparagus is not your thing, broccoli, broccolini, zucchini, or even bell peppers would be great substitutes.
We loved this pasta skillet with the chicken, but it could also be a quick meatless meal. Add in a few different types and colors of your favorite vegetables to give lots of flavor and nutrition. If you’re going the meatless route, I’d first cook the veggies in the skillet (in place of the chicken in the recipe), then take the veggies out while the pasta cooks and add them back in once the pasta is done. That way, your vegetables will have a chance to brown a bit and be cooked just right.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 12 oz. whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb. asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup half and half (or heavy cream)
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook chicken, stirring often, until lightly browned (be careful not to over-cook, as chicken will continue to cook with the pasta). Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, pasta, chicken broth, and water. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the asparagus, cover, and cook 3 minutes more, until pasta is al dente. Uncover and cook at a low simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the half and half (or cream), Parmesan, and lemon zest. Enjoy!