Spicy Grilled Portobello Tacos, topped with grilled onions and creamy feta and avocado, are a delicious, quick, and easy meal!
Tacos are one of those meals that I can eat again and again without tiring of them. I’m always glad to find new variations on the taco that my family and I can enjoy. It’s even better when those variations are meatless yet still full of flavor. These grilled portobello tacos are a little spicy, and a lot delicious!
Learn more about my Time-Saving Healthy Family Meal Plan.
The grilled portobellos act like the “meat” in the taco, filling you up with nutritious vegetable yumminess. Add in grilled onions, tomatoes, avocado, and feta cheese, and you have a taco that is sure to satisfy even on a super hungry evening!
I’ve added these grilled portobello tacos to my easy weeknight meals category. You can have these on the table in 30 minutes or less, making them a great option when you need a quick meal. Healthy and homemade is so much better than takeout, right?
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into rounds
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 corn or other whole grain tortillas
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes (or 1 cup chopped tomato)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- crumbled feta cheese
- Wipe the portobellos clean with a damp cloth. Pull off the stem, and then use a butter knife to scrape out the gills.
- Whisk together 2 tbsp. olive oil and 1 tbsp. balsamic. Brush both sides of portobellos with olive oil-balsamic mixture. Combine paprika, chili powder, and cumin in a small bowl and rub over both sides of mushrooms.
- Heat a gas grill or grill pan to medium heat. Brush both sides of onion rounds with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until they begin to soften and caramelize, about 4 minutes per side. Meanwhile, grill mushrooms over medium heat, about 4 minutes per side, until they are juicy and tender.
- Slice mushrooms into ¼-inch thick slices. Warm tortillas in the microwave. To serve, top each tortilla with portobello slices, grilled onions, tomatoes, avocado slices, and crumbled feta.