Vegetarian Portobello Mushroom Fajitas
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
These Vegetarian Portobello Mushroom Fajitas are a healthy 30 minute meal for busy nights. You can even get a head start on this recipe by prepping ahead!
The last 30 minute (or less!) dinner that I shared was this Healthy Taco Salad recipe. I guess I’ve been craving Mexican flavors because for today’s 30 minute meal we have these delicious Vegetarian Portobello Mushroom Fajitas!
You’ll love this recipe because you can either make it all at once in just half an hour, or you can prep part of it ahead to make your dinner-making process even faster. You know, for those nights when you’re just getting home and have basically no time to get dinner on the table before heading out to your kids’ softball game or swim practice.
To meal prep these Vegetarian Portobello Mushroom Fajitas:
- Chop the mushrooms, bell peppers and onion, place in a zip-top bag in the refrigerator.
- Whisk together all marinade ingredients, store in the refrigerator.
- If you like, you can even cook the veggies and then just reheat at dinner time.
I serve these fajitas with smashed avocado or my best guacamole recipe. On the side, we like Instant Pot black beans or Instant Pot pinto beans for protein. My kids aren’t big on mushrooms or onions, but I’m sure to offer them the veggies as well as beans and cheese for filling their tortillas. If they’re exposed to new foods enough times, they will discover new flavors that they enjoy.
In the meantime, you’ll be happy knowing that you can cook one dinner that everyone can customize to their own preferences. In my house, that means mostly beans and cheese for the kids, and lots of vegetables for me! (The recipe doesn’t call for cheese, but I grate some for my kids to have with their fajitas.)
Try my easy Chicken Fajitas Recipe or Crockpot Chicken Fajitas recipe next!
More 30 Minute Dinner Recipes:
- Creamy Sausage and Mushroom Rigatoni by Pumpkin ‘N Spice
- Grilled Balsamic Chicken Salad Pizza with Fresh Strawberry Salsa by Floating Kitchen
- Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad by Life Made Sweeter
- Blackened Fish Taco Bowls with Corn Salsa by Bake Eat Repeat
- One Pot Creamy Vegan Caprese Pasta by She Likes Food
- One Pot BBQ Chicken Pasta by The Recipe Rebel
Try my easy Vegetable Stir Fry or one of these Vegetarian Recipes next!
Vegetarian Portobello Mushroom Fajitas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice*
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 2 bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 avocado
- 8 whole grain tortillas
- for serving: 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Make the marinade: In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Wipe the portobellos with a damp towel. Pull out the stem and use a butter knife or spoon to scrape out the gills. Slice into ½-inch thick slices and add to the marinade bowl.
- Add the sliced bell peppers and onions to the bowl and toss gently with your hands to combine.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Pour in the vegetables and marinade. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pit and peel the avocado. Smash it in a bowl and mix in a little lime juice and a pinch of salt, if desired.
- Serve vegetables in warmed tortillas, with smashed avocado and black beans.
**Nutrition information will vary by brand of tortilla, etc.
You can never go wrong with too much Mexican food! It’s one of my favorite cuisines to prepare, and I’m loving these portobello fajitas! Mushrooms are my favorite veggie and I could just eat them alone for a meal, so these are perfect for me. Sounds so flavorful and I love how easy it is!
Mexican food is a favorite around here and I will gladly take all the veggies in these yummy fajitas! I love how easy they are and that you can make them ahead of time too!
Mexican food is something that we eat a few times a week and I love this vegetarian take on fajitas! Portobello mushrooms are a favorite of mine and that guacamole topping is just perfect!
Oh I love all the veggies in here. Especially those portobello mushrooms! I can’t wait to make these. These fajitas are right up my alley!
I’m always craving Mexican food too! And I feel like it ‘s so easy to make so it’s great for a 30 minute meal! I love these veggie fajitas!
That looks like the perfect meal to me! I love Mexican food, and mushrooms, so I definitely need to try these soon!