These Spinach Pesto and Tomato Flatbread Pizzas with a crispy flatbread crust are a 30 minute meal from start to finish! You’ll love the flavorful spinach pesto and crunchy pine nuts on these cheesy pizzas!
I can hardly believe that March is here, along with 30 Minute Thursday! We say it all the time, but it really is so crazy how fast time goes by!
If you’re new here, 30 Minute Thursday happens on the first Thursday of every month. A group of bloggers, including myself, each create a dinner recipe that you can have on your table in 30 minutes, start to finish. These 30 minute recipes are quickly becoming favorites with my family, as I’m adding them to our menu week after week. We need fast and easy dinners just as much as you do! Be sure to follow my Easy Weeknight Meals Pinterest board for even more FAST dinner inspiration!
Learn more about my Time-Saving Healthy Family Meal Plan.
When I sat down to brainstorm ideas for this month’s 30 minute recipe, I knew I wanted to make a pizza. My family loves homemade pizza, but it’s not typically a 30 minute meal when you factor in the time to make the pizza dough.
To get these Spinach Pesto and Tomato Flatbread Pizzas on the table quickly, I used whole wheat flatbreads from the grocery store. The ingredient list on the flatbreads was short and contained only recognizable ingredients, so I felt comfortable going the store-bought route this time. You can check the label on your flatbreads to make sure they fit your family’s nutritional goals. Whole wheat pita bread is a great substitute if you can’t find flatbread.
I mixed up a quick spinach pesto in my food processor to use as the pizza sauce. The pesto adds lots of flavor for minimal effort! A little more chopped fresh spinach, some cheese, cherry tomatoes, and a few pine nuts round out the pizza toppings. I love the pine nuts for the flavor and crunch they add to these pizzas. If you’re not a fan of fresh tomatoes (like my husband), mushrooms also work well with the spinach and pesto flavors.
We made these Spinach Pesto and Tomato Flatbread Pizzas two days in a row – first for dinner and then the next day for lunch. They are that good and that easy! Mix up a big veggie-filled salad while the pizzas cook, and dinner is done!
- 3 cups loosely packed spinach
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup walnuts or pine nuts
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 whole grain lavash or other flatbread (I used two 8x10-inch rectangular lavash)*
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1½ cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place all pesto ingredients except olive oil in the bowl of a food processor. Process until finely chopped. With the processor running, add the oil in a steady stream through the feed tube and process until well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Place lavash on parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread with pesto sauce. Sprinkle on chopped spinach and mozzarella cheese. Top with tomatoes, grated Parmesan, and pine nuts.
- Bake pizzas for 8-9 minutes, until cheese and flatbread are lightly golden. If you are using more than one pan, rotate halfway through baking time.
And here are the other 30 Minute Thursday recipes for March!
Mushroom Barley Soup from Pumpkin ‘N Spice
Linguine with Poached Egg and Asparagus from Sweet Peas & Saffron
30-Minute Spicy Orange Shrimp Teriyaki from Flavor the Moments
Browned Butter Shrimp and Rice Bowls with Sautéed Kale and Avocado from Floating Kitchen
Tex-Mex Taco Salad from My Kitchen Craze
30-Minute Turkey Bolognese Zucchini Noodles from Whole and Heavenly Oven
Sweet and Sour Meatballs from Bake. Eat. Repeat.
20-Minute Ham and Pineapple Rice from The Recipe Rebel
Seasoned Chickpea Taco Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing from She Likes Food