Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato
See my guide on how to use an Air Fryer.
This Air Fryer Sweet Potato recipe makes the most perfect baked sweet potatoes! Enjoy them as a healthy side dish or load them up with toppings to make them a meal.
The air fryer works its magic on potatoes once again with these sweet potatoes. These air fryer sweet potatoes are perfectly soft and creamy on the inside with the most irresistibly crispy, crackly skins. While I love a good oven baked sweet potato, there’s no better way to crisp up the skins than by cooking them in the air fryer.
Just like these Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries, cooking a whole sweet potato in the air fryer is an easy way to enhance its sweet, caramelized flavor. These air fryer baked sweet potatoes are delicious as is, and they’re even better topped with a pat of butter and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. If you really want to play up their sweet flavor, add on a drizzle of maple syrup or a bit of brown sugar.
Perfect Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes
There are so many reasons to love cooking sweet potatoes in the air fryer:
- They’re a convenient option when you’re short on oven space or don’t want to heat up your kitchen.
- It’s easy, with just a few minutes of prep time.
- The sweet potatoes come out perfectly cooked, with creamy insides and golden brown crispy skins.
To learn how to cook a classic baked potato in the air fryer, see my Air Fryer Baked Potato recipe.
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes in an Air Fryer
Now let’s cook some sweet potatoes! If you’re new to air fryer cooking, see my guide on how to use an air fryer.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400° F for 5 minutes.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and pat them dry.
- Poke a few holes in each sweet potato with a fork, to allow steam to escape as the potatoes cook.
- Put the sweet potatoes in the air fryer basket and cook at 400° F for 40-50 minutes. Flip the sweet potatoes over about half way through the cook time to help them cook evenly. You’ll know they’re done when the sweet potatoes are very tender all the way through to the center when pierced with a fork.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Recipe Tips
- How many sweet potatoes can you cook in the air fryer? You can cook as many as will comfortably fit in a single layer in the basket. In my Cosori 5.8 quart air fryer I can fit 3 medium sweet potatoes.
- How long to cook a sweet potato in the air fryer? At 400° F, my medium sweet potatoes, which were just over 11 ounces and between 2.5-3 inches wide, too, 45 minutes to cook. Medium sweet potatoes generally take 40-50 minutes, while smaller sweet potatoes will cook faster and larger potatoes will take longer to cook through.
- It’s best to cook sweet potatoes that are similar in size so that they finish cooking at the same time. Or, remove smaller sweet potatoes when they’re done cooking and set them aside while larger potatoes finish cooking. As long as you don’t cut them open, the sweet potatoes will stay hot for a while.
- Preheating the air fryer allows the sweet potatoes to start cooking as soon as you place them in the hot basket.
I love serving an air fryer sweet potato alongside some of our favorite air fryer proteins. Cook the sweet potatoes first and then set them aside, uncut, while the protein cooks in the air fryer. Try Air Fryer Chicken Breast, Air Fryer Salmon or Air Fryer Steak.
A stuffed sweet potato is an easy way to make a filling, nutritious meal. Here are a few of our favorite ways to stuff an air fryer sweet potato:
- Mexican: Make Mexican-inspired stuffed sweet potatoes with black beans, corn, guacamole, cilantro, and sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.
- BBQ: Another favorite is stuffed sweet potatoes with Instant Pot BBQ Chicken or Slow Cooker Pulled Pork, red onion and fresh cilantro.
- Buffalo Chicken: Toss Instant Pot shredded chicken with buffalo sauce and place on top of sweet potatoes, along with blue cheese and green onions.
- Breakfast: Top with scrambled eggs, salsa, chopped bell peppers and sliced avocado.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
Here are a few more of my best air fryer recipes:
- Air Fryer Potatoes
- Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
However you decide to serve your air fryer sweet potato, it’s sure to be the hit of the meal!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 12 ounces each)
- Preheat air fryer at 400° F for 5 minutes.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and pat them dry. Poke a few holes into each potato with a fork.
- Place sweet potatoes in the air fryer basket and cook at 400° F for 40-50 minutes, flipping the sweet potatoes over half way through the cook time. Sweet potatoes are done when they are tender all the way through to the center when pierced with a fork. (This cook time is for medium sweet potatoes. Small sweet potatoes will cook faster, and large sweet potatoes will take longer to cook through.)
- Serve with butter, salt and pepper, or with toppings as desired.
- You can cook more or less sweet potatoes at once, as long as they fit in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!