Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
These Air Fryer Chicken Thighs are seasoned with a delicious blend of seasonings and have the best crispy skin! Cooking chicken thighs in the air fryer is quick and easy and the chicken comes out perfectly juicy, every time. Includes cook times for both bone-in and boneless chicken thighs.
I love cooking chicken thighs in the air fryer because it’s a quick and easy way to prepare a meal that my whole family loves. Air fryer chicken is juicy and flavorful with the most crispy skin! If you like easy chicken thigh recipes, you’re going to love these air fryer chicken thighs.
Like my Air Fryer Fried Chicken, these chicken thighs are seasoned with an irresistible mix of spices and seasonings that give the meat the best flavor. I’ve used common spices, so you likely have all of them in your kitchen already. Try to rub some of the seasoning under the skin for even more flavor.
Serve these air fryer chicken thighs with a side of Air Fryer Asparagus or Sautéed Green Beans and my most-loved Biscuit Recipe for a delicious meal that will be requested again and again. Don’t have an air fryer? You’ll love my crispy Baked Chicken Thighs recipe.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Thighs: I prefer to cook bone-in skin on chicken thighs in the air fryer because the bone helps the chicken to stay extra juicy and the skin gets crispy as it cooks. However, you can also use this recipe to make air fryer boneless chicken thighs. I’ve included cook times for both bone-in and boneless thighs in the recipe.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil helps the seasoning rub to stick to the chicken.
- Seasonings: Paprika, dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper come together to give the chicken the best flavor! I usually use sweet paprika in this recipe, but you can use smoked paprika for a smoky flavor.
How to Air Fry Chicken Thighs
Here is an overview of how to cook chicken thighs in the air fryer. Find the full recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions below.
- Air frying chicken thighs couldn’t be easier! To start, preheat the air fryer to 400° F for 5 minutes. Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels and then rub them with olive oil.
- Stir together the seasonings in a small bowl and then sprinkle them over the chicken pieces. Rub the seasonings onto the chicken to help them stick.
- You’ll first air fry the chicken skin side down and then flip it and cook on the other side until it is cooked through. If you are cooking skinless chicken thighs they do not need to be flipped during the cook time.
How Long to Cook Chicken Thighs in the Air Fryer
The cook time will depend on the size of the chicken pieces, whether or not they have a bone, and could also depend on your model of air fryer. These cook times are estimates. The best way to tell if your chicken is done is to use an instant read thermometer. Chicken should be cooked to 165° F measured at the thickest part, not touching the bone.
- Air fry bone-in chicken thighs at 400° F for 12 minutes, then flip and cook for 7-12 more minutes.
- Air fry boneless chicken thighs at 400° F for 11-15 minutes. You do not need to flip them during the cook time.
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs Recipe Tips
- Don’t crowd the air fryer basket. The chicken thighs should be in a single layer. You want the air to be able to circulate around the pieces so that the skin will crisp as it cooks. Cook the chicken in batches if needed.
- I tested this recipe in the Cosori 5.8 quart air fryer. Air fryers can vary so the cook times given are estimates. The nice thing about the air fryer is that it’s easy to open it during the cooking process to check if the chicken is done.
- If your chicken pieces are not all the same size, smaller thighs will cook faster than larger thighs. If some thighs are done before others, remove the pieces that are done first to a clean plate while the rest finish cooking.
- If you have extra room in your air fryer, you can air fry a vegetable at the same time as the chicken, as long as everything fits in a single layer. This may be an option if you have a larger air fryer model and are cooking for one or two, rather than a large family.
There are so many side dishes that go well with air fryer chicken thighs! For veggie sides, try air fryer asparagus, roasted cauliflower, roasted green beans or roasted broccoli. Brown rice, Instant Pot rice, roasted potatoes and mashed potatoes are all favorites. And homemade biscuits or honey yeast rolls are a welcome addition to just about any meal!
If you have more time to prepare a side dish, these are a few of our favorites:
More Easy Chicken Thigh Recipes
- Baked Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
- Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes
- Baked Chicken and Rice
- Grilled Chicken Thighs
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (or 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅙ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat air fryer to 400° F for 5 minutes.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry. Rub them with the olive oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the seasonings: paprika, dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Rub seasonings over chicken thighs.
- Cook chicken in a single layer in the air fryer. (Cook in batches if needed.) Cook chicken thighs at 400° F, skin side down, in the air fryer for 12 minutes. Flip and cook on the second side for 7-12 minutes, until cooked to an internal temperature of 165° F. (If using boneless, skinless chicken thighs, there is no need to flip them. Boneless chicken thighs will take 11-15 minutes total to cook, depending on their size.)
- Don't crowd the air fryer basket. The chicken thighs should be in a single layer. You want the air to be able to circulate around the pieces so that the skin will crisp as it cooks. Cook the chicken in batches if needed.
- Air fryers may vary so the cook times given are estimates. Use an instant read thermometer to check that the chicken is cooked to at least 165° F.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!