BBQ Chicken Salad
This BBQ Chicken Salad is full of black beans, corn, tomato, avocado, and grilled chicken. It’s tossed in a tangy cilantro-lime dressing and drizzled with BBQ sauce. Shredded cheese and crumbled tortilla chips are a perfect finishing touch!
Hi, Friends! This BBQ Chicken Salad is a real summer hit with family and friends.
Add this BBQ Chicken Salad to your next get together or meal plan . It’s just the right balance between being light enough for a hot summer day – it is a salad after all – while also being filling. And, you won’t have to turn on your oven and heat up your house, which we all know is so important when the temperatures are rising!
I prepare this salad with crisp romaine lettuce because I love the crunch. What makes this salad is all the toppings. Besides the spiced, grilled chicken, I’ve added black beans, corn, tomatoes, red onion, avocado, and more.
A refreshing cilantro-lime vinaigrette, made with a little Greek yogurt and honey, is the perfect dressing for it all. And the finishing touches? A drizzle of BBQ sauce (try my easy homemade BBQ sauce recipe), and a sprinkling of shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips. It’s salad perfection!
I made this BBQ Chicken Salad a couple of times while testing the recipe, and Brad and I didn’t mind taste-testing at all. For the kids, we served a deconstructed salad and they were happy little eaters as well. I thought it would be fun to take a photo of their plates, too. 🙂
More Summer Salad Ideas:
BBQ Chicken Salad
For the chicken:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- scant ¼ tsp. Kosher salt
- scant 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
For the cilantro-lime dressing:
- ½ cup cilantro
- 3 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tbsp. Greek yogurt
- 1 ½-2 tbsp. honey to taste
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
For the salads:
- 8 cups romaine lettuce washed & chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned corn drained
- 1 large tomato chopped
- ½ small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 avocado pitted and cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
- Crumbled tortilla chips optional
- BBQ sauce for drizzling
Grill the chicken:
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Rub over both sides of chicken breasts. Heat grill to medium-high heat. Grill chicken until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, turning once halfway through. Set chicken on a clean plate to cool and then chop into bite-size pieces.
Make the dressing:
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse until cilantro is finely chopped and everything is well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Assemble the salads:
- Place lettuce in a large bowl and toss with about half of the dressing.
- Place 2 cups of the lettuce on each plate. Top with black beans, corn, tomato, red onion, avocado, and cheese. Place ¼ of the chicken on top of each salad. Drizzle each salad with a little more of the cilantro-lime dressing. Crumble on a few tortilla chips, if desired, and then drizzle lightly with BBQ sauce. Serve immediately.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!