BBQ Chicken Salad
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
This BBQ Chicken Salad is full of black beans, corn, tomato, avocado, and grilled chicken. It’s tossed in a tangy cilantro-lime dressing and drizzled with BBQ sauce. Shredded cheese and crumbled tortilla chips are a perfect finishing touch!
Hi, Friends! This BBQ Chicken Salad is a real summer hit with family and friends.
Add this BBQ Chicken Salad to your next get together or meal plan . It’s just the right balance between being light enough for a hot summer day – it is a salad after all – while also being filling. And, you won’t have to turn on your oven and heat up your house, which we all know is so important when the temperatures are rising!
I prepare this salad with crisp romaine lettuce because I love the crunch. What makes this salad is all the toppings. Besides the spiced, grilled chicken, I’ve added black beans, corn, tomatoes, red onion, avocado, and more.
A refreshing cilantro-lime vinaigrette, made with a little Greek yogurt and honey, is the perfect dressing for it all. And the finishing touches? A drizzle of BBQ sauce (try my easy homemade BBQ sauce recipe), and a sprinkling of shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips. It’s salad perfection!
I made this BBQ Chicken Salad a couple of times while testing the recipe, and Brad and I didn’t mind taste-testing at all. For the kids, we served a deconstructed salad and they were happy little eaters as well. I thought it would be fun to take a photo of their plates, too. 🙂
More Summer Salad Ideas:
BBQ Chicken Salad
For the chicken:
- 2 boneless (skinless chicken breast halves)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- scant ¼ tsp. Kosher salt
- scant 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
For the cilantro-lime dressing:
- ½ cup cilantro
- 3 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tbsp. Greek yogurt
- 1 ½-2 tbsp. honey (to taste)
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
For the salads:
- 8 cups romaine lettuce (washed & chopped)
- 1 cup canned black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup canned corn (drained)
- 1 large tomato (chopped)
- ½ small red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 avocado (pitted and cubed)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
- Crumbled tortilla chips (optional)
- BBQ sauce (for drizzling)
Grill the chicken:
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Rub over both sides of chicken breasts. Heat grill to medium-high heat. Grill chicken until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, turning once halfway through. Set chicken on a clean plate to cool and then chop into bite-size pieces.
Make the dressing:
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse until cilantro is finely chopped and everything is well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Assemble the salads:
- Place lettuce in a large bowl and toss with about half of the dressing.
- Place 2 cups of the lettuce on each plate. Top with black beans, corn, tomato, red onion, avocado, and cheese. Place ¼ of the chicken on top of each salad. Drizzle each salad with a little more of the cilantro-lime dressing. Crumble on a few tortilla chips, if desired, and then drizzle lightly with BBQ sauce. Serve immediately.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!