Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies
These healthy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies are a yummy make-ahead breakfast or snack!
Let’s bake some cookies! Since today is the Tuesday after a long weekend, I figured we could all use a little chocolate to get us going, right? Speaking of the weekend, how was yours?
We spent Saturday at my grandma’s house, swimming, playing with the kids, and eating outside. I brought my kids’ favorite easy white bean dip to share, along with a big bowl of very berry fruit salad. That fruit salad is so good, I can eat it for dessert… and I did, over ice cream. 😉
Yesterday we went to our city’s July 4th parade and then grilled turkey burgers for dinner. And I made another batch of this grilled corn salad. If you haven’t tried it yet, you really should before summer’s end!
I hope your weekend was as full of good food, family, and fun as ours was!
If you’re just here for the cookies (and I don’t blame you!), here’s the scoop. These zucchini cookies are whole grain and packed with oats. They’re sweetened with banana and honey, rather than refined sugars. A hefty dose of vanilla extract brings some extra sweetness to these healthy cookies.
I was a little worried about the green zucchini when I served these cookies to my kids, but they gobbled them up! Chocolate chips always help to win them over. 😉 I almost always use dark chocolate in my recipes.
You don’t need a mixer to make these cookies, just two bowls, a whisk, and a spoon. I use my box grater to grate the zucchini and it’s super fast and easy. A large scoop makes the job of portioning the dough onto the baking sheets quick and easy.
These zucchini cookies are freezer-friendly and will thaw in your lunchbox over the course of a few hours. I’m making a batch to put in our healthy snack station this week!
More breakfast cookie recipes:
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 large ripe banana mashed
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Grate the zucchini (I used my box grater). You want about 1 cup of zucchini. Place the zucchini in a clean kitchen towel, hold over a bowl, and squeeze out the excess liquid. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together the oats, whole wheat flour, flaxseed, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, mashed banana, honey, egg, and vanilla. Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet and stir until just combined. Fold in the grated zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Scoop rounded ¼ cup portions of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, using your hands to shape the dough into uniform balls as needed. (I used my large cookie scoop.) Gently flatten each cookie a bit as they won't flatten on their own during baking. Bake cookies for 11-14 minutes, until set and lightly golden.
- Once completely cooled, cookies can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
These Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies are:
- make-ahead and freezer-friendly.
- a great way to use up extra zucchini.
- a healthy lunchbox treat!
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!